Piping for northern climates Hard pvc or flex?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Which would you use and why

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Another vote for Flex pipe. Btw we are neighbors :) I just had a piece crack this year but it is the first issue since owning the pond. This was more due to my level of the pipe for water then material used. I like the look of the pipe better if there is any exposed then the PVC also. I did mix a couple areas with PVC fittings on the Flex pipe which worked like a dream. Overall a lot less seems to worry about.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hard piped mine, had no issues running it where it was needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I recently rebuilt using both flexible and PVC. Used the PVC for long straight runs and flexible at bends and attachment sites into skimmer and falls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not worried about the work of hard pipe or ease of flex . My concern was which would fair better at shallower depths with freezing. I plan on running pipes that have to run from one side of the pond to the other in order o reach the pump by having the pipe in the excavation of the pond say in the first shelf but at the 90 degree angle which should help keep the water warmer. I imagine the use of flex will also be better for a little freeze and flex but the flex is not as durable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're going to run your plumbing inside your pond? Like under the liner? That one confused me a little!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
under both the first underlayment and the liner fill in the rounds of the pipe so it is one with the wall . inside the excavation but not in the water but on the outside of the liner but at even a foot below grade it should be able to keep the water warm to where freezing shouldn't occur

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I’m completely confused as to how or why that will happen but that’s not the first time! Haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've followed the builds of a professional koi pond builder and he uses solid PVC under the pond for his bottom drains.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember pvc comes in different thicknesses .Thin wall and thick wall .I wonder if ABS piping would be better

Ask a Question