Please guide me on my above ground pond build.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm still in the planning phase of my above ground pond spring project. I've been keeping some shubunkin and comet goldfish in my fish room for about a year and a half. The comets have gone out in a patio pond made out of a large planter. But the plan has always been for something bigger.

The dimension's I'm thinking of will be 7x4x3. Due to my 3 crazy dogs we cannot go in ground or else they would be in it all the time! Additionally, my yard seems to be 75% boulders based on my experience digging in other areas, so I'll avoid that frustration. I could possibly set it 6-12 inches into the ground but even that's not for certain. The pond will also feature a bog filter and waterfall.

My main goal of this post is to find a validated method of construction. It seems the internet is filled with more designs that wont work than ones that last. Budget is also a factor so I want to get this right the first time.

Also, is a foundation recommened? I was considering making one out of pavers but would rather not if its not needed.

Could you fine people please share any plans or advice you may have. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
blk cat.gif
@Jcon82

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Are you thinking concrete block or wood sleepers? I have no experience with a constructed above ground pond but @GBBUDD will likely be along shortly may have some suggestions for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't answer much without knowing where you are, down south? no foundation. Up north but going with a liner and 6x6 wood no foundation .

Cinder block and 4 feet deep yup foundation.
Need more info .

No digging or very little I would pour to get a level base to work from put a few pins into the rock unless it is just boulders

Ask a Question