Pond is back up and running

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yesterday I put the main pump back on and got the stream running again. I did have a section of the Flexible PVC Pipe that was broken due to ice I assume. The break was about 6" long and boy did the water come out of there once I powered up the pump. I cut out the bad area and fixed it up with a couple of 2" fernco's. All is good now. I am surprised that type of tubing cracked.

A few of gold fish enjoying the warmer temps.

IMG_3135.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Its been a really cold winter. I had my 3" junction for my stock tank filter freeze and explode and my ball valve on the 2nd stock tank freeze and come apart.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond is frozen on top today! You guys w/those warm temps better be happy now cuz you know this won't last, winter is not over :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday I put the main pump back on and got the stream running again. I did have a section of the Flexible PVC Pipe that was broken due to ice I assume. The break was about 6" long and boy did the water come out of there once I powered up the pump. I cut out the bad area and fixed it up with a couple of 2" fernco's. All is good now. I am surprised that type of tubing cracked.

A few of gold fish enjoying the warmer temps.

View attachment 108413
if you can, try and pitch your pipe so it drains back into the pond (as I did) or blow the hose line(s) out prior to winter. So far, haven't had any issues re flex pvc, but I think this is the reason. I'm sure there's water still inside portions but they're all at water level or below. Even the ones in the bog.

Just an idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Agreed. The elevation is such all can't drain back into the pond. 90% does but from the stream to the skimmer the flex pipe rises toward the top of the skimmer. I think what I will do in the warmer weather is to put a T with a drain right at the breakage point for drain purposes to avoid more winter issues going forward.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here in PA, winter is over. We are in Spring, though potential for snow is there. I started my bog when the temperature hit 80 F the other day. It's 41 F today but all 50s and high 40s from now on it looks like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here in PA, winter is over. We are in Spring, though potential for snow is there. I started my bog when the temperature hit 80 F the other day. It's 41 F today but all 50s and high 40s from now on it looks like.
Lets hope it is over, March can be pretty iffy for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Flex PVC cracked? That's kind of surprising... that is some tough stuff. Ours came with a lifetime warranty - I laughed when we bought it. I asked the guy if they would provide the labor to replace it if it ever cracked... uh, nope!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Flex PVC cracked? That's kind of surprising... that is some tough stuff. Ours came with a lifetime warranty - I laughed when we bought it. I asked the guy if they would provide the labor to replace it if it ever cracked... uh, nope!

It surprised me too, I understand that it could but that is some strong stuff. I believe it is going on its 5th year age wise underground. I cracked length wise on the pipe. There was definitely an ice blockage in that area. We had a super cold couple week stretch, maybe then was the issue. At least it was easy to spot, it blew out a section of the ground when I plugged the pump on. :mad:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't checked my ponds pipes, hope they held!

Glad you got yours fixed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It surprised me too, I understand that it could but that is some strong stuff. I believe it is going on its 5th year age wise underground. I cracked length wise on the pipe. There was definitely an ice blockage in that area. We had a super cold couple week stretch, maybe then was the issue. At least it was easy to spot, it blew out a section of the ground when I plugged the pump on. :mad:
According to two sources, flex pvc at 2" can handle 1300 psi and water when it freezes, can theoretically put out 30,000 psi. So, not so surprising when you get trapped water freezing.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/strength-of-pvc-pipe-with-strength-chart/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ater.svg/700px-Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png

Michael

Ask a Question