Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fear of water freezing in my plumbing is one reason we keep our pond running all winter. Our first year we shut the pump off, but due to a plumbing snafu (basically screwed two pieces together crooked) we couldn't drain the pipes. I worried all winter long. The second year we still hadn't fixed the crooked connection (I WAS BUSY, OK?! haha!) so we made the decision to just let it run - and had the COLDEST WINTER EVER. So I worried all winter long. Basically worrying about my pond appears to be my default! But it worked great and we've never shut down again.

And yes - we did eventually fix the bad connection issue. We had to saw it off and replace parts, but we got it done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisa; that would be one of my worries as well, that the winter somehow does something to any pipe due to the cold and there's an issue. In the winter, I'm not inclined to check much so if anything happened, no doubt (unless the float switch activated like it's supposed to), I'd prob lose fish and plants. Working on anything in cold weather is a b*tch. I pray anyone running pumps and water through pipes don't ever have a winter issue!

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good info, thank you
yeppa, it is. I still wonder if I'll develop any issues with the water that remains at pond level IN the flex pvc, but so far, haven't seen any issues. I'm thinking that as the ice forms and expands, it has a 'way to go' meaning upward and downward, so maybe that's why it's working. I have three lines like this but all my above ground and slightly buried lines drain backwards toward the pump or bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I pray anyone running pumps and water through pipes don't ever have a winter issue!

We did have the plumbing come unglued at the pump a couple years ago - that was exciting. We had to just shut everything down until it got a bit warmer as there was no way we could fix it in the frigid temps. The guy at the plumbing place told me he'd never seen PVC glue give out like that. I guess there's always a first time! Other than that I have had to drag a hose out and top off the pond on occasion in the cold, but I'm prepared for that with a warm hose!

Ask a Question