Pond under a tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife has always wanted a garden pond and I recently started considering it. The only real location I could build one on our property is under a tree. Is building a pond under a flowering tree discouraged on account of lots of droppings ending up in the pond or is it a non-issue?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you net the pond it is not an issue .But shade may limit what plants you will get to grow .Plus roots of tree may feel the dampness and had for the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
you would need a skimmer as well. I'd be more worried about roots puncturing the liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is built about 8ft away from a big pear tree. I skimmer is a must in my opinion. No issues with the roots. You can always do a solid wall between the pond and roots if concerned.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-8_16-0-35.gif
@im1dermike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe start with a smaller container pond? Are you planning to add fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We used to have a 2 large trees by the pond, one died and the other came down in a storm.......I really miss them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some trees are poisons to fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond will be surrounded by various treed but yes pay attention to the type as some are poisoness to fish some are more messy. Its really about are you willing to put in the work for the look you desire for me a pond without trees would br much less appealing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
For a variety of reasons, my pond is under trees. Reason 1 -- there are no sites on our property withOUT trees! ;)
2 -- best place for us to view from inside is under a tree. 3 -- best place visually is under a tree. You get the idea. I did have to do some root pruning as I hand-dug the pond. That is a factor to consider. For the healthy of the tree, you won't want to go in and dig and tear with an excavator. If you need to cut roots, you want to do it cleanly, with a saw. Yes - a skimmer is a MUST! Right now, we are dealing with what I call "oak doodles" or "oak tassels." They are these incredibly annoying little things that come off the oak trees after the leaves open. And then there are acorns. So -- different things to consider based on the type of tree your pond will be under. It will add some more work, both in construction and maintenance. But I'm like Telion. To me, it is worth it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine is under a 75 foot paper bark elm. I get the big seed balls from it all summer, along with the bark, and then the leaves in the fall, and it's still not too bad. I have to use a net a few times a week, not a big deal. I say go for it.

Ask a Question