power failure

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
We live on a steep hill and our pond consists of an upper and lower pond joined by a 30' stream with about a 10' drop. Both ponds are about 250 gal each. When there is a power outage the pump (below the lower pond) stops and all the water in the stream continues to flow into the lower pond. There is also some flow from the upper pond as it levels out. With the pump no longer pushing water uphill, all the water in the water column flows to the lower pond, it fills up and overflows. That in and of itself is not the problem. When the power is restored, the pump again pumps available water up to the upper pond and into the stream until the lower pond level falls below the skimmer box. Then the pump sucks air until the process starts over with the stream flowing into the lower pond until the pump has water to pump up the hill. This process will continue as long as there is enough water "fill" the cycle. Does anyone have any ideas? I would rather the pump not turn back on after the power failure than to struggle to push insufficient water or maybe use a float to fill the lower pond when the level falls below a certain point.

Thanks
Deede

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not sure there's much you can do other than somehow increase the capacity of the lower pond, or decrease the capacity of the upper pond.
Does your lower pond overflow when the power goes out?

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep, but like I said that is not the problem, it's when the power returns and the water starts flowing again. I did think about trying to increase capacity of the lower pond since the water in the stream cannot be changed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your lower pond overflows, then I would definitely put in a float valve to replace the lost water as the power starts up again.
You don't want to burn out your pump.;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep, but like I said that is not the problem

Well, technically that IS the problem. If your lower pond held enough water, you wouldn't have to worry about it. But the overflow and water loss results in your pond sucking air. This isn't news for you, but just something for people to think about when they are in the construction process.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never, never, NEVER build a two tiered pond system where the upper pond is of the same size (or larger) as the lower pond. This thread proves why.
An auto-fill will not solve the problem as the pump will likely still pump the water faster than the auto-fill can supply it. The pump will still cavitate.
In this particular case, being both ponds are of equal size You have two, maybe three options. One, decrease the size (surface square footage) of the upper pond by about one-third. Two, Increase the size (sq/ft) of the lower pond or, Three (a lot more unnecessary work), decrease the upper pond by one-quarter (sq/ft) and increase the lower pond by the same amount, one quarter (sq/ft).
This should permanently correct the problem.

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
The upper pond is 2/3 bog, so most of the water comes from the stream. Just enough to flood and reduce the level of the lower pond. I may have to work on increasing the size of the lower pond. After having a 5k pond in Maryland I long for a bigger one and may have a "good" reason to expand. Hmmmm, have to give that a thought.

thanks all

Reaction score
Where is the pump located? If it is in the lower pond then put it deeper. You will also need an auto filler on the lower pond to replace the water if you are away from home when this happens next.

Ask a Question