Putting my pond on a timer

Reaction score
I have a great little pond and love everything about it. I have about 12 koi, some about 12", a few babies, and everythng between. It has been very healthy for it's entire life (4 years).

Right now I run a pump full time, but want to put a timer on it in order to save a little expense. It adds up of course. I was thinking that not much could go wrong to shut the pond down for a few hours during the night and maybe the day. My plan was to maybe kill it for 2 or 3 two hour stretches per 24 hours. That could save 20-25% of the running costs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ken

Reaction score
When we clean the pond, and during some other periods. Our pond is off. It has been off for several hours before with no noticable effects.

Do you really think it will be effected by a few hours of off time?

If that is the case, my current pump runs a waterfall and is substantial. What about running a secondary pump that just moves a minor amount of water when the main pump is off,

Surely I am not the forst person that has experimented with this. Cutting out only three hours is a 12.5% savings.

We are novices though, so I respect the opinions of the pros.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
Kenny the Koi
Seeings as you have those Koi (being as messy as they are) I would allow some kind of filter w/ a pump to run all the time but I think you could leave the other larger pump off if you like for a short while. The longer you leave it off the more chance of the good bacteria going bad and messing up your water chemistry possibly harming your fish. You could also add an air stone and or a bubbler to add extra oxygen for the fish. They don't need a large pump to run those. I have an old aquarium pump running an air stone in my pond and an old fountain pump that bubbles up water that I got at Lowes or some place similar. Everything like that helps w/ oxygen and keeping the fish healthy and happy :regular_waving_emot

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have our pond pump running all of the time into our bog filter. The steam waterfall pump is on a timer. If you can set it up to run your filter with a smaller pump and put your waterfall on a timer that might help you.

and welcome!
welcomefrogcar.gif

Reaction score
Why should the filter run 24 hours? The only reasons I can think of is if your filter drains when you shut off the pump and could dry out, or you are heavily overstocked and need to be overfiltered.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The aeorbic bacteria die after around 5 hours of no water flow. My bog is my filter, i want to keep the bacteria alive. I currently have maybe 3-5 fish, in a 9-11k gallon pond, so definitely not over stocked. My bog stays wet even with the flow off, but no o2 flow without the pump running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Several hours no problem unless you have big fish in a small pond. your bio will start to die if it's off much longer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome kenny the koi and I have koi too and they are the messiest critters around and my pumps never go down except to clean them and to add fresh water .

Reaction score
What is the basis for the statement that nitrifying bacteria will die without water flow? They don't have water flow in lakes or in soil, where they are found in nature. Even if you treat your pond with factory-grown bacteria, your pond will pick up natural bugs. In spite of what you read on the internet, there are many, many species of nitrifying bacteria, and the types that you can buy are not even the most common ones in nature. Rather they are among the few that can be grown in large-scale culture. Many others can not be grown in culture at all, and the majority have not even been identified.

They definitely do not need a steady supply of nitrogenous waste to stay alive. For the best-known of the nitrifying bacteria, oxidizing nitrogen compounds is an option they turn to, rather than their only means of nutrition.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They do need a current and even lakes have that. The ratio of fish per gallons in a lake preclude any logic for ponds.

Reaction score
Why do you say "they" need a current? I don't understand. You are talking about nitrifying bacteria, right? You will find them on the surface of any container of water exposed to the environment -- a birdbath, rainbarrel, as well as in the soil, compost piles, sewage ponds, swamps, wet ditches, whatever.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run my bog 24/7 I want those little suckers to be as healthy as possible.

just from the net:

Nitrifying bacteria are chemoautotrophic bacteria that grow at the expense of inorganic nitrogen compounds. Many species of nitrifying bacteria have complex internal membrane systems that are the location for key enzymes in nitrification: ammonia monooxygenase which oxidizes ammonia to hydroxylamine, and nitrite oxidoreductase, which oxidizes nitrite to nitrate.

Nitrification in nature is the result of actions of two groups of organisms, the nitrosifyers (ammonia-oxidizing bacteria) and nitrifying bacteria (nitrite-oxidizing, nitrate producing bacteria)

Nitrosifying bacteria
1. NH3 + O2 + 2e- + 2H+ → NH2OH + H2O
2. NH2OH + H2O + 1/2 O2 → NO2- +2 H2O + H+
Nitrifying bacteria
NO2- + 1/2 O2 → NO3-

Nitrifying bacteria are classified as obligate chemolithotrophs. This simply means that they must use inorganic salts as an energy source and generally cannot utilize organic materials. They must oxidize ammonia and nitrites for their energy needs and fix inorganic carbon dioxide (CO2) to fulfill their carbon requirements. They are largely non-motile and must colonize a surface (gravel, sand, synthetic biomedia, etc.) for optimum growth. They secrete a sticky slime matrix which they use to attach themselves.

Species of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are gram negative, mostly rod-shaped, microbes ranging between 0.6-4.0 microns in length.

They are obligate aerobes and cannot multiply or convert ammonia or nitrites in the absence of oxygen.

Nitrifying bacteria have long generation times due to the low energy yield from their oxidation reactions. Since little energy is produced from these reactions they have evolved to become extremely efficient at converting ammonia and nitrite. Scientific studies have shown that Nitrosomonas bacterium are so efficient that a single cell can convert ammonia at a rate that would require up to one million heterotrophs to accomplish. Most of their energy production (80%) is devoted to fixing CO2 via the Calvin cycle and little energy remains for growth and reproduction. As a consequence, they have a very slow reproductive rate.
Nitrifying bacteria reproduce by binary division. Under optimal conditions, Nitrosomonas may double every 7 hours and Nitrobacter every 13 hours. More realistically, they will double every 15-20 hours. This is an extremely long time considering that heterotrophic bacteria can double in as short a time as 20 minutes. In the time that it takes a single Nitrosomonas cell to double in population, a single E. Coli bacterium would have produced a population exceeding 35 trillion cells.​
None of the Nitrobacteraceaeare able to form spores. They have a complex cytomembrane (cell wall) that is surrounded by a slime matrix. All species have limited tolerance ranges and are individually sensitive to pH, dissolved oxygen levels, salt, temperature, and inhibitory chemicals.

Unlike species of heterotrophic bacteria, they cannot survive any drying process without killing the organism. In water, they can survive short periods of adverse conditions by utilizing stored materials within the cell. When these materials are depleted, the bacteria die.​

Maximum nitrification rates will exist if dissolved oxygen (DO) levels exceed 80% saturation. Nitrification will not occur if DO concentrations drop to 2.0 mg/l (ppm) or less. Nitrobacter is more strongly affected by low DO than NITROSOMONAS.

Reaction score
I am not sure how many of us are really qualified to break down the science of microbes here.

I thought that this would be more of a question just based on experinece. Surely some koi ponds are on a timer womewher out there - be them in restaurants, or other places that don't have 24-7 admireres.

I have a simple sytem wher my pump takes the water in, and then I split the flow between one feed underwater, and my waterfall (otherwise the water flow was overwhelming out of the water fall).

I was just thinnkningabout saving 10-20% of the energy I use every month with a simple timer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could try solar power I am looking at going that way wind and sun power no batteries to fuss with and switches itself between grid and off grid they started in California .www.dyocore.com they call it solair

Ask a Question