PVC pipe -- painting or coating (for a pond edging idea)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no idea what or where you're putting them but it'd be kinda neat to have a few with flowers or grasses or something in them. I can't wait to see the pictures when it's done.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no idea what or where you're putting them but it'd be kinda neat to have a few with flowers or grasses or something in them. I can't wait to see the pictures when it's done.
Go back to the beginning of this thread -- I posted a picture of an idea I found, but pretty sure the "pipes" they used were some metal. Also posted a couple of drawings to show how I plan to use it. In the original pic, they have the pipes filled with sand & succulents, but my plan is for a more utilitarian approach -- the pipes themselves are for a border and as a support wall for a section of the pond berm, so I want them to be very secure in the ground.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well then the test was a success as they held up quite well using the whaco machine!
I think I'll go out and throw a few rocks at them, to see what else they can handle, LOL!

But basically, I'm satisfied enough that I'm ready to shop for the colorant to add to the PVC cleaner-stuff.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, ha! A well thrown brick did some damage!

See gouges on the left side pipe......

image.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too funny TM cuz who's gonna being throwing stuff like that around in your area? Maybe you should stick a pipe bomb in one and see how it does :ROFLMAO:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just did the plastic spray paint a few years back, still looks just fine. Underwater and above water

Reaction score
Turtle Mommy,

Just for a suggestion to ponder, you can purchase sewer and drain PVC pipe which is a sort of lime green in color (all the way through). Not sure how small of a diameter that pipe comes in, but I know that 4" to up to 16" is quite common.

I just purchased 120 feet (12- 10 foot sticks) of 6 inch diameter PVC pipe and it cost me about $380-$400.

If you were to use solvent to remove the printing and rough the outside of the pipe up with coarse sandpaper or even a sandblaster, it might look really swell in a pondscape layout. No painting, no staining, it would hold its original lime green color for a long, long time! Algae might even grow upon it and really camoflauge it nicely.

You could ask a local plumbing shop (ask several of them) and a few contractors to save all of their scrap pieces. They cannot usually use the short lengths of leftover pipe and that typically goes into the trash. You might end up with various diameters, which would make for an interesting variance in looks.

catfishnut

Reaction score
I have been trying to find some of the 2 or 3 foot round culvert pipe for planters like my neighbor has for by my driveway .They are not cheap

just noticed this thread title 'cause i have some pvc i want to paint eventually (want it to look more terra cotta though).

anyway, look around in your area for a plastic recycling place. i got some huge pipe, 32" diameter from one near me, and they had some bigger. i was recycling metal and just by luck noticed a place for plastic down the street from it. the last time i was by there they only had a few pieces, so i guess it's whatever comes to them, but if you have one close enough to just swing by off and on, you might find something you can use.

Ask a Question