Quarantine Minnows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting some rosie red minnows from amazon. Because they are not from a biosecure source (like nextdaykoi) I figure this is a good time to learn to quarantine properly. I have prazi pro, potassium perm, api stresscoat, and can acquire anything else. Does anyone have any tips for Quarantining Minnows, and is this different than what I would do with goldfish? I have read a lot of varying opinions on whether to treat them in QT tank and how long to keep them in QT tank. What has worked for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Update : It turns out big Shubunkins will eat half inch to 3/4” minnows. :oops: all of the big minnows survived. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see them gobble them up. I didn’t know they had it in em.

We added a hundred. The next day there was only 40-50, I thought maybe they got sucked into the filter. Until I saw the big Shubunkins swallow them whole. Luckily, no Shubunkins were harmed from over feeding.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have seen that in aquariums also, thought they were big enough to make it. One thing that can help is to feed your fish good before introducing the small ones. Slows down the big ones and gives the new ones a chance to get their bearings in their new environment. If they breed like GBBUDD's you'll make up the losses shortly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One trick I use to use when I had my planted aquarium with tiny shrimp and ogoboos that are small fish that stay that way. I would place the tiny new comers into a breeding cup it has the vents on the top to keep the little guys contained. But what it also did was get the little guys in the tank the big fish could see them smell them but could not get to them. No one said were the smartest well then when you released them into the tank the big fish thought they could not get at them and whala what could be food was left alone

Ask a Question