Adding goldfish to a koi pond - do I need to quarantine?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried searching the internet for an answer and came up empty, so any advice from the experts here would be appreciated!

I inhereted a large koi pond (35 x 70 ft big, and 4 ft deep in the center) when I bought my house. There are 12 koi in it at the moment, and I've been looking to add some more fish.

An acquaintance has an overstocked pond of ornamental goldfish and she's offering some to me. My question is, do I need to quarantine them before adding them to the koi pond? Are there any goldfish diseases that are contagious to koi?

I'm going to check the goldfish over before agreeing to anything, but if I need a quarantine setup I'd like to know before I bring them home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, Quarantee them. Goldfish and Koi are both carp, so they share most all the same diseases. Just because those goldfish are healthy, doesn't mean they might not carry something that can harm your koi. Fish can get accustomed to things like flukes and they might not affect them. But your fish may not be accustomed to those parasites, and they could have problems. Flukes can't be seen by the the naked eye, only under a microscope.

Lots of information here on how to quarantine new fish, and there are lots of different ways of doing it. Just please don't dump them in with your existing fish. Always quarantine them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
I would if it was my pond. I would treat the goldfish for parasites at least, too. Imagine if you introduced something nasty into that pond. That would be a big pond to have to treat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
purplewelcome.gif
@carpe diem
Kids plastic swim pools make great quarantine holding area. Put a net over it to keep out critters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! If I go ahead with it, I'll definitely set up a quarantine then, and check on how to treat the goldfish.

The safest option is to avoid bringing in more fish. I would just be happy with the ones you already have.
That's always an option. I just feel bad not helping someone reduce their crowded pond when I have so much space. I'm super protective of the koi though, after a mink got in last year and decimated the population. When I introduced new koi earlier this year, the pond company did the quarantine and the water testing -- I just had to float the bags. So I'm in uncharted territory, and being super cautious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed quarantining is the less stress for your fish. The new guy IS ALREADY STRESSED being bagged and shipped. A little alone times is easier for all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even though a dealer quarantined the fish, I would have still quarantined them. Their water is not the same as yours and I feel it's good for the fish to get used to any new water before adding that stress to them. They will be stressed enough with the move.

It's also easier to observe them and catch them if a problem arises when they are in a smaller area.

Sorry about your losses to the mink. Those might be the worst predators out there. They seem to kill just because they can, not because they are hungry, and fish have a hard time escaping them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mink seem to love the brains they always eat the heads off.

And I think I have issues with woodchucks and birds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I saw the wood chuck bolting away after I hered a distinctive snap coming from the back yard. Just wish I had seen how high it jumped. Trap was still where I left it so the shock was all it took to get it high tailing away from the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are they eating your pond plants? We are overrun with them here. They are such a huge pest that it's actually illegal here to trap them and release them somewhere else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here but apparently he went for a mouse trap that was set. And when he set it off it must have scared him and he went running.

Yea same here but fireworks and now mouse traps have been added to the deterrents.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a quick update -- decided not to add the goldfish, since it was too much of a risk. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Even though a dealer quarantined the fish, I would have still quarantined them. Their water is not the same as yours and I feel it's good for the fish to get used to any new water before adding that stress to them. They will be stressed enough with the move.

It's also easier to observe them and catch them if a problem arises when they are in a smaller area.

Sorry about your losses to the mink. Those might be the worst predators out there. They seem to kill just because they can, not because they are hungry, and fish have a hard time escaping them.
Will definitely take this advice in the future, since I'm looking to add another fish this month. (Just lost our new male to a spawning injury -- couldn't catch him in time to treat his ulcer, despite our best efforts. I'm still pretty heartbroken about that.) Luckily I live close enough to Hanover Koi Farms, which has a good reputation. Once I get the new guy, I can quarantine him safely.

Ask a Question