Question about feeding koi garlic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have never fed my koi garlic and I know it is very good for them especially in the spring.

But my husband and I grow our own organic garlic (we use the pond gunk for fertilizer on the garlic bed). We grow large beautiful bulbs that last us an entire year even at the 2-4 cloves a day he and I go through. We even have enough left over that I give it away and pickle it. I have not bought garlic in years and we never go without garlic.

With koi and a wonderful garlic crop in our own yard I think I should start sharing some with them.

My questions is how? Can I just pop off some cloves and drop them in the pond and let the koi munch on them? Or do I need to process the garlic in some way before feeding the garlic to the koi?

Here are some pictures of last years garlic crop :) We love garlic! Its my prize crop out of everything we grow.
DSCN8012.JPG

DSCN8319.jpg

Last edited:

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pecan, oh she of the monster garlic..............

Put the garlic into a food processor or blender and chop it up slowly until you get the pieces down to the size that you think your fish will accept. If they've never had it before, they might ignore it, but keep tossing it at them, they'll catch on eventually. You can dehydrate the garlic as well, store it in an airtight container and just toss it in there whenever.

Garlic is a great way of stopping your koi from being promiscuous and contracting STDs as the girly fish don't like man-fish with bad breath (LOL).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Put the garlic into a food processor or blender and chop it up slowly until you get the pieces down to the size that you think your fish will accept. If they've never had it before, they might ignore it, but keep tossing it at them, they'll catch on eventually. You can dehydrate the garlic as well, store it in an airtight container and just toss it in there whenever.

Garlic is a great way of stopping your koi from being promiscuous and contracting STDs as the girly fish don't like man-fish with bad breath (LOL).

I don't have a food processor and can only assume that is some sort of fancy kitchen device LOL but Ill try chopping the garlic up into little pieces and see if they are interested. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just chopped some garlic up and fed it to the koi. They are use to eating floating food so as it sunk most missed it. Except one notice it on the bottom and began munching it all up.

I can only imagine later today all the other koi are going to look at that koi and say "dude, you stink!" LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just chopped some garlic up and fed it to the koi. They are use to eating floating food so as it sunk most missed it. Except one notice it on the bottom and began munching it all up.

I can only imagine later today all the other koi are going to look at that koi and say "dude, you stink!" LOL

I have the opposite issue in my pond cause my fish are goldfish. If i throw floating food they dont notice it except for the one black/red ryukin and maybe one of the opal shubunkins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

How would you dehydrate the garlic? Just let it dry out and then just store it in an airtight container? Thx ... In all the years, I keep reading about it but never tried it.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
How would you dehydrate the garlic? Just let it dry out and then just store it in an airtight container? Thx ... In all the years, I keep reading about it but never tried it.

Gonna seem like a bit of a smart-ass here, but..................use a food dehydrator. The setting is usually around 125-135F for a dry time of about 5 hours. They're fairly brittle when they come out. Stash them in a Mason jar.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Gonna seem like a bit of a smart-ass here, but..................use a food dehydrator. The setting is usually around 125-135F for a dry time of about 5 hours. They're fairly brittle when they come out. Stash them in a Mason jar.

Thanks ... I'll look that up online. Found a great site to buy garlic for growing. They must have a dozen variations. I'm going to try now to plant though fall is the right time. I'll replant again in the fall. Thx Morewater ....

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've got a cheapie, a Salton......does the trick. Cost me around Can.$60

Food Dehydrator.jpg

Ask a Question