Repotting water lilies and irises... Am i stressing them???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7 (apparently!!)
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have been researching the best means of potting up my pond plants and ended up transferred my water lilies (Virginalis, Leydikari Fulgens and Helvola) into large solid tubs (washing up tubs) using garden loam and clay and plenty of Osmacote fertiliser and also put them in shallow water within my greenhouse in full sun to give them a warm boost (I live in Aberdeen, UK, so its colder then the rest of the UK and the spring has been pretty awful). I planted with this one horizontal just under the surface as the books told me. However they are looking pretty lacklustre still and I am so . Looking around my other plants (most now about 1 - 2 years old) the ones doing best are the ones I have never actually potted on...(pickerel weed looking lovely and lush, marsh marigold bolting, typha reaching for the sky....)

My beautiful Virginalis lily appears to have died off completely (year 1 it was growing fine, then I potted it into a 24cm mesh basket ad it did not thrive, so I put it in for intensive care as described above but it hasn't produced any growth at all this year, not so much as a leaf bud.) I have now ordered another one in a 3 litre pot. My husband (a good gardener but with no water garden experience) says to leave it and repot next spring once its established in its new home here. Is he right??

Also ... my versicolor irises seem to be putting on good growth.... but when o when can I expect them to flower?? Just leaves and long rhizomes....

Any assistance gratefully received.

Stickleback

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Water lilies love warmth and if you are still cold they are not ready to grow. If the tubers still have eyes of growth on them then they are ok but if turning to mush then all is lost.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The rhizomes do not get buried, part of it can but its just the roots that dig in. WE JUST USE CLAY kitty litter UNCENTED... three fertilizer tablets put into the pot , away from the roots. It is true lilies like being left alone they prefer still calm waters but they can handle a large wake from a boat with ease. They do not like the cooler temps they grow very slowly. just add sun heat and fertilizer and you will have all the flowers you want. fertilize every month

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7 (apparently!!)
Country
United Kingdom
Water lilies love warmth and if you are still cold they are not ready to grow. If the tubers still have eyes of growth on them then they are ok but if turning to mush then all is lost.
Thank you! Still no sign of growth but I am keeping an eye on it still 😊

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7 (apparently!!)
Country
United Kingdom
The rhizomes do not get buried, part of it can but its just the roots that dig in. WE JUST USE CLAY kitty litter UNCENTED... three fertilizer tablets put into the pot , away from the roots. It is true lilies like being left alone they prefer still calm waters but they can handle a large wake from a boat with ease. They do not like the cooler temps they grow very slowly. just add sun heat and fertilizer and you will have all the flowers you want. fertilize every month
Thank you so much! We are in a cold area but if necessary I will keep my lilies warm in a greenhouse as you suggest. There is a UK native ( Alba) which may do better if all else fails.😊

Ask a Question