Rocks in ponds

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the old threads on rock in the bottom of ponds and it is very clear that the vast majority of you are very anti and I agree with all points stated and although it was my intention I shall now not be putting rocks in the bottom but........................

Where I live the natural occuring rock is very rectangular https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=y...a=X&ei=LfKNVICMDpKt7Abw4YDoCA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I am considering 'walling' my pond sides. Due to detritus being drawn down to the bottom, but accepting that some will collect in the walls, are you against the 'walling' idea?

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
to expand; I think the walls would look good, the gaps could be used for planting, provide a safe haven for pond life/fry and would allow for a very natural edging to be achieved.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would dig the sides with a gentle slope and believe that the stones would stack safely and securely. Edges that I would expect to be load bearing during viewing or maintenance would need a different approach. I am 10 months away from my first spadeful and am throwing around ideas in my head.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Rocking the walls of a pond can prove to be quite beneficial. Caution should be used, however. Do not use any rock with sharp or pointed edges. Fish can be seriously injured during spawning. Use only well-weathered rock.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information @Meyer Jordan that is very helpful information. This may be overkill but I used carpet to line the hole, mainly because of the numerous rock shards in the heavy clay that would easily cut thru the underlay and reach the liner. I now feel better knowing my field stones aren't putting pressure on the sharp rock from the inside of the pond. I have read of people using carpet padding as well. Never use carpet that has the chance of staples in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
it is very clear that the vast majority of you are very anti

Well, I'm the minority view on this one, but I don't have a rock bottom pond - it's actually a shallow gravel bottom. The side walls are completely rocked, which supports the edge rocks as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That makes three of us! We can form a support group!:)

I just always like to chime in so people know there are those of us out here who are successfully ponding, rocky bottoms and all!

Reaction score
That makes three of us! We can form a support group!:)

I just always like to chime in so people know there are those of us out here who are successfully ponding, rocky bottoms and all!

How do you clean the bottom of the pond? I like that look, but it seems I am always scooping 'gunk' off the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just use my net and scoop out any leaves that find their way to the bottom. That's the only "gunk" that I ever have on my pond floor. The gravel is so shallow, it just covers the liner. When I get in the pond I stir it up with my feet. There's never more than a bit of fine silt which settles quickly to the bottom once I get out.

When you say "gunk" what is it that you are scooping?

Ask a Question