Seaming Firestone liners

Reaction score
I know it's not preferred, but to the people who HAVE seamed hdpe liners, did you have any issues with leaks? I have a chance to buy 2 pieces of new Firestone hdpe on CL (from 2 different people), but to fit the hole I'm digging, I will need to seam them together. If I do seam, I plan on doing it the correct way with 2 sided tape between and then the tape that goes on top over the overlapping edge. Seaming could save me close to $500.00 if I include shipping on having to buy a single piece online. Is it worth it? I'm torn...that $500 could go to more/better filtration.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

-Diane

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Having been involved in design/build of Water Features and ponds for almost the last 20 years, I can state unequivocally that even if you are a professional, any seam longer than 5 feet is a 'crap shoot'. I would not recommend it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I so agree with @Meyer on this one. (Not that he needs my back up!) I would keep searching for a cheaper source for liner before I would seam for a pond. Ask yourself how badly you will wish you had spent the extra money when you are pulling that liner back out again. And you will always second guess yourself - or at least I would. Every sign of water loss and I would be sure it was that dang seam!

The only seaming I would consider is for a stream, where you could create a lot of overlap that would prevent leaking - in other words, the top liner coming downstream is laid over the bottom liner with LOTS of overlap on the up stream side to prevent water from wicking back up. But other wise I wouldn't do it.

You can always add more or better filtration later. Replacing that liner will cost you in more ways than one! Maybe start a post asking for ideas for sourcing liner at a better price, either locally or online. Lots of people here who love ponds AND love to save money!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
My best shot at seaming resulted in continuous leaks. The only real solution was a new, bigger liner. If I had done that in the first place my pond would have been must easier to maintain. If anyway possible I truly recommend a new liner is your best course of action. Believe you me, most of us have been in your position. Here's wishing you the best regardless of your decision.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I think I will go for the bigger liner, or make my pond a little narrower to fit the width of the CL liner. I really need 25x25, and was going for a 15x12x4 pond but maybe I can go 15x10x4 to fit the 20x25 liner available. Lots to think about.

Ask a Question