Shubunkin with Koi pattern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very pretty shubunkin and really cool gif. I have thought about buying one of the blackwater farm packages of shubunkins but never pulled the trigger. The problem is my own fish keep having too many babies. The owner of blackwater was on gpf for a short time.They are mostly wholesalers but will sell to the public too.

Reaction score
Very pretty shubunkin and really cool gif. I have thought about buying one of the blackwater farm packages of shubunkins but never pulled the trigger. The problem is my own fish keep having too many babies. The owner of blackwater was on gpf for a short time.They are mostly wholesalers but will sell to the public too.

I am lucky enough to have good quality fish dealers in my area that have great practices and buy from blackwater and all over. Their stock always amazes me. This shubunkin came from a regular pet store awhile back though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ponder that makes sense. I think it's hard for the average person to buy a package of fish without seeing them all first. In my opinion it's worth it to pay a little more to a dealer so you can get the exact fish you want. It sounds like you have a lot of other nice fish. Do you know where some of your other goldfish came from? I have a shubunkin that is mostly black with blue spots from a hatchery in Wisconsin and I have seen some really nice goldfish come from a hatchery in the Ozarks. I think its interesting knowing which breeders your fish came from.

Reaction score
I would have to pick my dealers brains some more but i think some could be from farms in new Jersey, Florida, maybe California or Arkansas. Ive learned domestic fish in the states are way nicer than what i expected.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would have to pick my dealers brains some more but i think some could be from farms in new Jersey, Florida, maybe California or Arkansas. Ive learned domestic fish in the states are way nicer than what i expected.
Are there fish farms in Arkansas? Retail or wholesale? I know of one in south LA, right out of Baton Rouge that has very nice fish! I was fortunate to be able to hand pick some lovely Shubies and calico fantails from there last year.

Reaction score
Are there fish farms in Arkansas? Retail or wholesale? I know of one in south LA, right out of Baton Rouge that has very nice fish! I was fortunate to be able to hand pick some lovely Shubies and calico fantails from there last year.

Im sure there is a decent amount of farms and sites retail and whole sale down there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What you may well have with this shubunkim is a koi/shubunkin hybrid , we had a similar shubunkin to this way back in the early 1990's , it was believed by a number of the then fish shop owners in Plymouh to be a hybrid when we took photo's around of it in an effort to ascertain what it really was .
Dont foget they are kissing cousins and they have been known to cross fertilize before now.
Either way it makes for a stunning edition to your pond :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
What you may well have with this shubunkim is a koi/shubunkin hybrid , we had a similar shubunkin to this way back in the early 1990's , it was believed by a number of the then fish shop owners in Plymouh to be a hybrid when we took photo's around of it in an effort to ascertain what it really was .
Dont foget they are kissing cousins and they have been known to cross fertilize before now.
Either way it makes for a stunning edition to your pond :happy:

Dave
Thats really neat Dave, Ive herd of those hybrids but only thought they came in black and could not reproduce. I have seen males chase her a few weeks ago so i think she is producible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats really neat Dave, Ive herd of those hybrids but only thought they came in black and could not reproduce. I have seen males chase her a few weeks ago so i think she is producible.
No you can have different colouration and patterns on these hybrids but like you weve always thought of them as mules and being unable to breed so if this one does I'd be really interesed in looking at them

DAve

Reaction score
No you can have different colouration and patterns on these hybrids but like you weve always thought of them as mules and being unable to breed so if this one does I'd be really interesed in looking at them

DAve
well if I'm able to isolate and spawn this fish ill surly share on the forum. Not sure if I currently have a good enough mate to get desirable offspring though.

Ask a Question