sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why i put the grate in with window screening over it .The smallest fry can't get through that and it has been in that way for 9 years now .Window screening saves every thing every day .I have it over the edges of my pond so no fish jump out during spawning .I had that happen one year and the same fish jumped out 2 times and first time i found him in time second time i was to late

Attachments

• splendors gate 2015-pond 032.JPG
    splendors gate 2015-pond 032.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 246

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish have to work their way through about a foot of stacked round rocks to follow the water out. Works great. If some get washed out I have never seen it. I go out in heavy rains off and on to check how things are going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great idea for out flow of water addy at least you know they are safe .Mine has only gotten up to the grate back in 2011 when a big storm came through the area .I was closer with the last couple of days rain we had .

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
A pond bottom over time does not look like liner at all.

This is mine.
View attachment 79969

I wish I could go to that depth! Oh and I LOVE the shubunkins!!

The hole is actually quite small, about 1.5' in diameter, and it is filled with rocks, cement pieces, whatever I had, so that no one could accidentally fall in. It does mean it holds less water, but it is also safer.

Oh I see, I was assuming it was a large and deep hole.

I have my over flow 1 inch above my almost highest level .I don't want water flowing out until it is close to the top level .This way I have to worry less .Like addy said the bottom gets covered in good muck and then taddies come along and clean a lot of it up .You really don't need stone for a natural bottom .We have had a week of somewhat heavy rain on and off and it is great for my plants .I have not gotten to overflow stage yet because pond was lower after I cleaned the filters and rebuilt the one filter that I did not finish last year .So i got a nice water change

Good point on making the overflow higher than the desired level, I always hate that half filled look. ooohhhhhh I can't wait for some frogs!

My fish have to work their way through about a foot of stacked round rocks to follow the water out. Works great. If some get washed out I have never seen it. I go out in heavy rains off and on to check how things are going.

I may go this route as well, I find that pond building is a process of learning as you go really.

Thanks for your help all of you.

Ask a Question