Spammers on GPF(?)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you ever get the impression that some people who post on GPF are spammers — but they are so good at their craft that they come across [at least in the beginning] as legit? Then, you start picking up on....nuances....and patterns in their posts.....that alert the Spidy-senses.

Not pointing anywhere in particular, but just saying....

It’s kinda like the “trolls” who get a conversation (opinion or argument) started.....but then their participation ends.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If I find someone that asks for help isn't even willing to answer some basic questions, I'll turn my focus to people that sincerely want some help and are willing to work with us to help them.
I think some people post on forums just to reinforce what they already believe.
Closed minds are not capable of learning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We sometimes get spammers who are trying to be covert, but often I'm able to spot them and remove them before anything dodgy hits the forum. There are tools available for webmasters to report known spammers, so if I'm ever suspicious I check them against the databases.

However we also get people here who are just unfamiliar with how forums work, which means their posts can come across a bit 'off'. If you're ever concerned about a member then feel free to drop me a message and I'll check it out :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen a few that are obviously here to sell a product - doesn't happen often, thankfully. (Probably thanks to the hard work of our webmasters!)

And as @MitchM said, so often someone will post a question and they get some helpful replies asking for more info and then... nothing. I'm always curious if they get scared off when someone asks them a question in response. Like what did they think would happen?? And why bother asking the question if you don't plan to stick around for the answers? Weird!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with both @MitchM and @Lisak1 , you learn to spot them quite early though the odd ones selling something sometimes geting through , but not very often.
Some folks however are just out to create mischief and strife on a somewhat large scale, (we had one woman banned from three sites in three days).......
Then add to that the fact she was as nutty as a fruit cake to boot and you can understand why for this mega ban

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And as @MitchM said, so often someone will post a question and they get some helpful replies asking for more info and then... nothing. I'm always curious if they get scared off when someone asks them a question in response. Like what did they think would happen?? And why bother asking the question if you don't plan to stick around for the answers? Weird!

I think some people are just interested in getting the answer to their question that they don't even bother to say thanks - they probably just read it and go. It's a shame, but surprisingly common unfortunately!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not a spammer! Honest!
smsmile.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I only chime in where i can with the knowledge i have.

Ask a Question