Stocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,I wonder if you could give me some advice,my pond is about 1000 gallons I think,it is 8ft x6ftx3ft deep,I have 3 koi which weigh 26lb between them, also 2 x koi/goldfish cross which must weigh 4lb between them,also7 x goldfish which must weigh 2lb between them and3 x small rudd,My mum is getting rid of the fish in her pond because she is getting to old to look after them,she has 4 x goldfish/koi cross which must weigh 7lb between them,i would love to put them in my pond because they are her pets but would it over stock my pond,and if it did would it just need me to put another filter in, Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does sound like you are reaching max capacity in your 1000 gallon pond. More filtration would help, but there are additional factors to consider like the stress on the fish from overstocking.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think you may have been at the max already .Not sure what your filtration is and if you add extra air but koi get very large and produce a lot of waste and the more you feed them the more the waste builds up .I use 2 filters and always have and pond is now 5000 gallons and only 16 fish at this time and 2 are koi 2 feet long and even then it is hard to keep water quality what it should be .Do you test your water .I always go with less is better .Is there any way you could build another pond or add to your pond .Did you leave extra liner from your original pond build .

Ask a Question