Pond Stocking

Reaction score
Hello from Nova Scotia Canada.
I just built my pond this weekend. If anyone hasn't driven an excavator before I recommend it. It is pure fun.
My pond is about 100 x 20. 2-4' deep. I wanted to make it deeper but there was alot of bedrock underneath. It has a very small stream running through it, enough to circulate the water.
Being shallow can I put any trout species in it or any other fish or am I limited to Koi?
Also I have a few mallards, racoons and fox's that hang out in it, will they just eat the fish?
Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about the excavator! We rented a small one -- I had a blast!

I take it this pond will have a natural bottom, no liner? Not sure about depth, 'cause I imagine it gets pretty cold where you are. Four feet max may not be deep enough, but then for native fish, I don't know..... Would the nature of the stream allow the fish to come & go???

I can't answer your questions, but hopefully someone here can. Just my thought would be to go with native fish as they would be less picky about their living conditions than koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep when our house and basement were done the contractor left his small one here for a year and we used it for every thing we could think of while we had it for free ,all we had to do was buy fuel .Not sure about those kinds of fish ,but sure some one does here .

Ask a Question