Surprises in the Winter

Reaction score
How many people have found a Koi in there pond after the cold winter months that they cannot figure what fish it was in the fall? It seems to happen to me every couple of years or so. Yesterday while out checking the pond and while the snow was off of it enough, we spied a butterfly shushui about 3' down mixed in with the others. And later one it had moved a little closer to the shallow side by itself and I was just taken back by it. It is one of those "Wish List" fish I had for awhile.

It amazes me how much the Koi will grow over the winter when the water is in the 40's. I looked through pictures and for the life of me cannot figure out which one morphed in to this beauty in about 2 months times. It has grown 3 plus inches.

It just makes me want March/April to get here more quickly to pull them out and take a closer look at them. I know. I know. Quit wishing your life away.

So anyone else have any stories of fish changing so much over the winter they had no clue where they came from. I decided to thank Santa for mine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yes I have seen changes in my fish over winter 2 of my all black ones have suddenly turned gold and gotten really long tails and there front fins look like butterfly wings .I have had these 2 black fish for 3 years and suddenly they change .They are really pretty now but I bought them because I wanted some black fish in my pond .I also found new fish so my fish must have had babies that stayed hidden and finally got large enough to come out and be seen

Ask a Question