Swim bladder issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have this one Goldfish that cannot swim properly, it's weird it sometimes does other times doesn't. Been this way since I got her and that was in May, other goldfish are normal. What is the best treatment for this? Just wondering if it can be resolved, this is not a new thing, ever since I got her it was a thing. When I got her she was being chased by males, I thought that might have caused it, though probably not, maybe just it was shock?

There's also this one Koi, now this one seems to have proper swim bladder issues, I found it at the pump where leaves gather up, thought it died. I could clearly see some red on its side as well. This one also grew slower than other 2 koi I have, so clearly it is some sort of problem it has.

These aren't new things to me, I just thought with time they might resolve themselves, but with winter with this Koi it's much more apparent and I'm just wondering if I can do something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
It seems this is probably caused by lack of filtration, at least for this one Koi, I suppose it has a weaker immune system. I guess when I install the bog filter the issue should resolve itself, at least slowly. Though I'm gonna isolate this koi and goldfish and put them in a bucket, I hear feeding peas can end up resolving swim bladder issues altogether.

I did recently rebuild the pond, so it would make sense, it was definitely was not as stressed in the previous months, but now this one seems quite stressed, and I've not used any kind of product to bind up ammonia. The others are hardier though. This goldfish is a weird case though, never did seem stressed to me, was energetic when feeding in summer, still I'll isolate and see if that improves her condition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Some fish are just not as robust as others.
Not sure. I see the Koi laying more on the bottom and not being able to swim on cold days now, had one very warm day a few days ago and was doing quite well.

Getting a bog filter setup soon though locally finding a bulkhead is hell. For some odd reason I thought it was gonna be a breeze to find that, but I guess it's not a standard thing used, so I gotta order from somewhere.

Though it is winter now so I assume I'll see results starting spring.

Ask a Question