Possibly swim bladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large raised garden pond containing about 15 fish. Some are mature (about 6 inches long) and there are smaller fish spawned in the pond. Just recently one of the fish seemed to be lying on her side, near the surface rapidly opening and closing her mouth. An internet search suggested swim bladder so I isolated her into a smaller tank. I have checked the water with a testing kit and it is fine apart from needing to have a little additional 'hardness'.

I have tried feeding her with peas but she isn't eating at all and seems to have no interest. I have added a small aerator to the tank to increase the oxygen content and this has shown some improvement with her swimming normally some of the time but she soon reverts to floating on her side.

So, the water is good, the water temperature is about 68ºF, there is an aerator but she is still opening and closing her mouth continuously and is not eating.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. All the other fish in the pond look fine and healthy.

Thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of pond lovers!

We have some good fish disease people here they will chime in to help you. I am not the best.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your problem that can be a tough one. Here are some related threads you may find helpful:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1585151795667.gif
@Malvernian
Sorry for the fish and I have one like that now and I have it in a separate container to see if there is any hope but I doubt it as it has happened before and they usually pass on. I'm only giving it a partial daily addition of fresh water each day as nothing in the past has ever done anything. Mine is not floating tho, and it is fat and resting on it's side on the bottom. No pine cone appearance and it won't eat.

Ask a Question