Switching gears -- now need advice on making a bulkhead and creating adequate drainage for a bog

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mr. No Help here. :confused: Maggie, even after reviewing your drawings I am not sure if you want the water flowing into the pond in a decorative way or purely functional?
Originally it was going to be both, but I've now decided to opt for utiliarian. Any decorative work will be via the landscaping [you know, to make the PVC "hump" look like a log......].

I have another drawing to include, but the iPad is acting quirky at the moment.....:banghead:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@morewater I'm continuing this from my other thread....just to keep them straight. After reading your last post [in the "stream" thread] as well as a few posts by others, I started wondering if we were all on the same page -- maybe I wasn't explaining myself well enough. Anyway, in your last post, you were mentioning "substrate," and that was confusing me a little. I think of substrate as something you put in the bottom a critter cage. But you were talking about the cinderblock wall, weren't you [I looked it up, and "substrate" can also mean a stone or masonry surface....]?

See, what's going on with this project is that there is a gap, or weir [see drawing, if it will upload] in the cinderblock wall that's about 12" wide by 3" deep. It was for when I was going to use it as a stream. But now that I've decided to convert to pipe or tubing, I want to fill that gap with something solid that I can attach & pass the bulkhead fitting through. Think of it like adding a solid door to an open door frame. If I left it like it is now, and just flipped the liner over the gap, there would be no support and the fittings would just be hanging there, only supported by the liner. On one side of the liner is the bog itself, where there will be gravel and water pushing through the gap, putting pressure on the liner from that side.

And darn, but I can't seem to get any of my pics to upload! I don't know if it's the site, or the fact that we upgraded the iPad last night........ But as soon as I can get it to work, I'll include drawings.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I understand what you're talking about.

Lift the liner over the "weir" opening. Apply marine grade silicone to the cement board (that's been cut to fit over the "opening". Apply it to the liner that's been pulled over the "weir" opening. Screw it through the liner to the wall. Cut your hole in the cement board (or do it before). Apply marine grade sealant to the hole edges. Put the bulkhead fitting through the hole, tighten . Attach your pipe.

Voila. Done.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I understand what you're talking about.

Lift the liner over the "weir" opening. Apply marine grade silicone to the cement board (that's been cut to fit over the "opening". Apply it to the liner that's been pulled over the "weir" opening. Screw it through the liner to the wall. Cut your hole in the cement board (or do it before). Apply marine grade sealant to the hole edges. Put the bulkhead fitting through the hole, tighten . Attach your pipe.

Voila. Done.

There you go! :) Is there a brand/type of marine grade stuff that's best to use?

Ask a Question