Thank you all for my first pond

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Took a short video tonight because it looked pretty cool with the lights through the waterfalls of ice.

Very cool (quite literally)! Here in the Muddle East, it's been warm enough to work in short sleeves at mid-day, though much cooler at night. We're about to get our first winter storm--only two months late. But no snow in the forecast for our area.

Seeing all these iced-over ponds makes me happy to live in a warmer climate (partly cloudy with a chance of missiles).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@YShahar we have an expression in the winter a hole mixed bad of sht when we get rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow all together. But you guy took that to a hole new level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very cool (quite literally)! Here in the Muddle East, it's been warm enough to work in short sleeves at mid-day, though much cooler at night. We're about to get our first winter storm--only two months late. But no snow in the forecast for our area.

Seeing all these iced-over ponds makes me happy to live in a warmer climate (partly cloudy with a chance of missiles).
Yes, been quite chilly this past week although it is supposed to warm up this week. I will say it is pretty nice to see the pond in the winter looking at this. The lights through the ice of the waterfalls is cool, like fire ice.

What missiles? They say only Israel is firing missiles;)

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Yes, been quite chilly this past week although it is supposed to warm up this week. I will say it is pretty nice to see the pond in the winter looking at this. The lights through the ice of the waterfalls is cool, like fire ice.
And meanwhile winter here looks like this (though we'll get freezing temperatures next week, according to the meteorological kabbalists):

Rainy_day_14Jan24_1_web_low-rez.jpg

Oh, right. Those things that keep crashing into houses and such must be really big hail... Though so far only one has hit our neighborhood. Flew right over my pond and demolished a house up the street. But things are a bit intense around here at the moment, and likely to get more so if/when Iran decides to give its (other) proxies the green light. Can't even look at my Facebook feed at the moment, as it's all funerals.

The pond and garden take on a whole new meaning when one lives in interesting times!

Happy ponding (and here's to brighter days!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

And I could say to you , cold what cold , did the heat in the office go out?

Was that you who drove by the 80 yard concrete pour yesterday?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And I could say to you , cold what cold , did the heat in the office go out?

Was that you who drove by the 80 yard concrete pour yesterday?
I think I missed the concrete pour, was probably sipping my grande double latte with unicorn milk, whipped cream on top sprinkled with cinnamon and shavings of godiva chocolate when I drove by, I will have my chauffeur point it out to me next time;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think I missed the concrete pour, was probably sipping my grande double latte with unicorn milk, whipped cream on top sprinkled with cinnamon and shavings of godiva chocolate when I drove by, I will have my chauffeur point it out to me next time;)
Man are you lucky this is a family show. " eyes rolling "

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure my appearance surprised no one when they same in the videos. Probably just about what you expected.
Now @Pablo on the other hand I don't know what to expect . The lawyer part you got the pictured. But one who actually will work in the mud with his OWN TWO HANDS now that throws me a curve ball .

Then he adds this drink that you wouldn't catch me asking for let alone putting it to my lips. I'd be afraid I'd catch some part of a rainbow 🌈 and stay there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure my appearance surprised no one when they same in the videos. Probably just about what you expected.
Now @Pablo on the other hand I don't know what to expect . The lawyer part you got the pictured. But one who actually will work in the mud with his OWN TWO HANDS now that throws me a curve ball .

Then he adds this drink that you wouldn't catch me asking for let alone putting it to my lips. I'd be afraid I'd catch some part of a rainbow 🌈 and stay there.
Lol. No worries, l like my coffee black with one sugar and cannot remember the last time I stepped in a Starbucks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure my appearance surprised no one when they saw me in the videos. Probably just about what you expected.
Now @Pablo on the other hand I don't know what to expect . The lawyer part you got the picture nailed . But one who actually will work in the mud with his OWN TWO HANDS now that throws me a curve ball .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I seem to have my first pump issue, hoping someone can help. I have a PerformancePro external pump. Its been running all winter, no issues from the moment I turned it on for the first time. But the last couple of days it is not pumping at the same pressure, its been pretty weak. It always had been almost too strong for what I need, the waterfalls had a nice flow, but now you can see a different slower flow.
The prime basket always used to be filled up to the very top, hitting the lid. Now it is not full. It used to have a constant low hum but now it is almost like it is weazing . Hard to describe in words but it is like it is pulling in some water and then catching its breath, kind of like "vroom vroom" sound.
On Monday we had an extremely windy day so a lot of leaves blew into the pond, when I got home the helix skimmer was very full of leaves (I have the large basket), water was still getting through though but it probably restricted the water.
I dont think there are any blockages in the pipes. Water is getting to the bog. I turned off the pipe to the bog to see how the water came out of the pipe I use when I need to lower the water level. Definitely a slower flow, compared to before when it was like a fire hose, and the water was not constant it was like coming out in waves.
Kind of stumped as to what to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE THE SAME MANUFACTURER great pump

one possibility is the basket is clogged not so much with leaves but algae and other fines that have clogged the liiitle spaces in the basket. take the basket out use the hose and blasts the basket out of the pump spraying in reverse of flow this work well getting algae etc out of the basket,

some times a very small pebble can get through and it may get between the impeller\

you may have too much air in the line shut the pump off open the basket fill with water. turn the ball valve that returns water to trhe pond and close it half way. start the pump and it may get a little better each time. open the ballvalve when you see the pump priming.

you should have been here i just went through all the steps, all the tricks to get the pump running as i am just firing up after winters nap , and i just added the bead filter. to the equation. more to come this weekend. i'll show how i cut in ball valves and a sill cock to aid in start up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I will try those steps this weekend. I think the basket is ok, I have been cleaning that out pretty regularly. But the string algae started last week, not crazy yet (key word "yet" lol) just started to get a little warmer here. You may be right about the air in the line so that might do the trick. I should have said the motor sounds fine, it is the water action that sounds different.
Hope your start up goes well, like to hear how the bead filter goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But the string algae started last week,
I bet that is why you lost pressure. Use the garden hose from the outside spraying into toward the center from the outside wall with the basket upside down. And then place the basket back in.
Now the next time this happens try to remove the string algae by hand and you'll love me for the little tip with the hose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope your start up goes well, like to hear how the bead filter goes.
Oh I had it running last night but now the system in not simple any more there's 5 ball vales a couple check valves vacuum breaker. 10 or more unions all off one pump. I got the system running in 5 minutes or less let it run for a couple hours but I shut it down for the night. I bet I added 40 fitting to the system and that's something you want to be home for day time hours for the first day. So this Saturday I will fire up the system for the year. I may even drop the shower . I thought a shower. Would increase o2 but it seems it sucks o2 out of the water more than it adds according to a study I just found. So I'm thinking x the shower and do the bead and bog

Ask a Question