Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I had it running last night but now the system in not simple any more there's 5 ball vales a couple check valves vacuum breaker. 10 or more unions all off one pump. I got the system running in 5 minutes or less let it run for a couple hours but I shut it down for the night. I bet I added 40 fitting to the system and that's something you want to be home for day time hours for the first day. So this Saturday I will fire up the system for the year. I may even drop the shower . I thought a shower. Would increase o2 but it seems it sucks o2 out of the water more than it adds according to a study I just found. So I'm thinking x the shower and do the bead and bog
Kind of reminds me of an old Three Stooges episode of them running all kinds of pipes around to stop a leak, lol. That is a lot to keep track of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I had it running last night but now the system in not simple any more there's 5 ball vales a couple check valves vacuum breaker. 10 or more unions all off one pump. I got the system running in 5 minutes or less let it run for a couple hours but I shut it down for the night. I bet I added 40 fitting to the system and that's something you want to be home for day time hours for the first day. So this Saturday I will fire up the system for the year. I may even drop the shower . I thought a shower. Would increase o2 but it seems it sucks o2 out of the water more than it adds according to a study I just found. So I'm thinking x the shower and do the bead and bog
Curious, have your fish woken up from their winter nap yet? I had added 5 small shubbies in September, they have hidden themselves pretty well. I would see a couple in the evening back in December, then nothing, saw one two weeks ago for a brief moment before he went back to the cave. I know the water temp has to get warmer, just thought this week with the warmer temps they might have been tempted to come out of hiding. Two weeks ago the water temp was 43.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes even before firing up the pond tonight. The fish have been very active a couple weeks ago when we had the 40's and 50's and through this week. The gold fish were the first to be swimming around as they pretty much do all winter , slowly but they are usually visible. The koi coe swimming over looking for food they all got one pellet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We were 82 yesterday! The fish have been extremely busy. But they are predicting a low of 29 - 32 Wednesday morning. This time of the year is crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We were 82 yesterday! The fish have been extremely busy. But they are predicting a low of 29 - 32 Wednesday morning. This time of the year is crazy.
We got up to the sixties yesterday, but back to cool weather now and next week. I will check the water temp tomorrow. There are plenty of places for the fish to hide behind the rocks so they may just be hanging out there, they were small, only 4-5 inches. Have not seen any bodies, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4 TO 5 " BABIES HIDE BY NATURE they are still fish food for many predator's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you all know the pump is fine. I do appreciate all the cards and flowers you sent, really was not necessary. Turned out the water level was a bit too low, I think that combined with the skimmer getting beyond full of leaves last Monday caused it to go a little wonky. I had pumped out water last week because we had 5 inches of rain in 10 days. A little surprised because the water level had been this lower level several times before but again I think it was the skimmer being full. The baskets for the pump and skimmer were fine, but I did wash them but they were very clean.
Anyway, I am sure you have had several sleepless nights so now you will be able to sleep well tonight;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You all can rest easy also because three of the five fishes showed themselves today. They poked their noses out of the cave and then slowly started coming out. Not long before they were swimming around the pond. Just checked and a couple of swimming around the waterfall lights tonight. They made it through the first winter, phew.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i knew i was getting misinformation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All 5 fish are duly accounted for now, they all came out to play yesterday. All swimming together like they did back in the Fall. Water is great, very clear, tested fine this weekend, algae is all around but I dont see it as an issue at the moment still time for that to explode. Plants I put in last Fall seem to be coming back, was not sure for a lot of them since some of them were being planted in water and not necessarily water plants (day lillies for one). Pretty happy so far to make it through the first winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finally a nice weekend, the daffodils I planted around the pond last Fall did well.
20240427_144724.jpg

Ask a Question