Thick green pea soup water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is green. I've got two bog gardens full of plants and waterfalls. And a rectangular filter with sponge inside. ( Pump hose runs inside this filter and goes back into the pond through cotton foam ). Would I pond bomb help? Barley extract?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this not normal for your pond? From what I understand, Algae is very common in the Spring and once the plants wake up, the water goes clear and the string algae (if any) goes away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually it was green all winter too. It has just gotten worse now. Thank you for your reply. 😊

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure what a pond bomb is or what barley extract would do, but I do know that algae happens due to an excess of nutrients. The bacteria that helps in the nitrogen cycle does better in warm water conditions than it does in cold, so it's natural to get more algae in the winter and early spring because the bacteria isn't as active. As the weather warms the bacteria will multiply and come back up to speed and it should clear. You might try some cold water bacteria - Aquascape sells some and there are probably cheaper brands that do too. That wouldn't be an instant fix though because you'd need to wait for even those bacteria to grow, they'd just do it more easily and happily in the cold water than the normal warm water bacteria would.

If you want an instant fix, maybe someone on the board can recommend something they know to be safe. I know @GBBUDD is always full of advice and @addy1 has lots of experience too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As was mentioned above - Algae is the result of too many nutrients in the water, so what is the cause & what you might be able to do about it is very situationally dependent. I'm sorry if you've told the forum before, but... More details about your pond & set up would be helpful here. Where do you live (climate/zone/etc...) How many gallons is the pond? How old is your current system? Do you regularly test your water parameters and/or perform any routine maintenance? What's your fish load? Any pictures?

If you're in an area that has true Winter, green water during the cold months is more unusual than having an algae bloom when things start to warm up again in Spring. The algae gets a jump on growing before the (more desirable) perennial plants get growing & can out compete for those same nutrients.

Ask a Question