This is disturbing for security concerns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Putting a key lock on a gate is only meant to keep the honest people out.
Put up a sign saying that there is video surveillance in the area instead.;)

That guy has a lot of videos on how to bypass a key lock.(y)
On one hand, it doesn't make key locks very good, on the other hand, it's good to know the limitations and drawbacks of using a key lock.

Reaction score
I agree with Mitch locks only keep honest people out. You can have the strongest lock in the world but it is only as strong as what it is attached to. As an example the lock inside most garage doors is useless. Once someone is in your garage all they have to do is kick the drywall next to the door and they can walk right through the wall. The lock on the gate can quickly be cut with a bolt cutter or battery operated grinder. The video camera is fine if you want to catch someone but if you put up a sign and they know they can be filmed all they have to do is wear a mask. Best bet is to get a dog.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My gate has a 'beware of dogs, keep gate closed' sign. And I hang a lock on it, it's not really locking anything but it looks like it is.
My parents house was broken into while they were abroad and I was caretaking. It's not so much the loss of property as the feeling of being violated and knowing someone was in your drawers. After that I increased my security around my home with an indoor alarm, mirror tint on the easy access windows. My daughter has several guitars, computers and other tempting treats for a thief, but if they cant see it it's much less of a temptation. I installed an automatic garage door closer just in case one of us forgets to close it, again. Got a surveillance cam for the front door and motion lights all around. Even with all this my best security is having neighbors on both sides of me that are home during the day and both have dogs that do bark at strangers. By the way, twice I've cuaght unknown people in my backyard at night, ??? Once there was a guy standing there looking at the pond with a flashlight?? when I went around the side to confront them they jumped over the gate breaking it in the process, not cool. That's when I put a strip of carpet tack on top of that fence, sigh,. Why must people do these things?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Putting a key lock on a gate is only meant to keep the honest people out.
Put up a sign saying that there is video surveillance in the area instead.;)

That guy has a lot of videos on how to bypass a key lock.(y)
On one hand, it doesn't make key locks very good, on the other hand, it's good to know the limitations and drawbacks of using a key lock.
Yea, I watched some other ones, he's incredible at picking.

Reaction score
My gate has a 'beware of dogs, keep gate closed' sign. And I hang a lock on it, it's not really locking anything but it looks like it is.
My parents house was broken into while they were abroad and I was caretaking. It's not so much the loss of property as the feeling of being violated and knowing someone was in your drawers. After that I increased my security around my home with an indoor alarm, mirror tint on the easy access windows. My daughter has several guitars, computers and other tempting treats for a thief, but if they cant see it it's much less of a temptation. I installed an automatic garage door closer just in case one of us forgets to close it, again. Got a surveillance cam for the front door and motion lights all around. Even with all this my best security is having neighbors on both sides of me that are home during the day and both have dogs that do bark at strangers. By the way, twice I've cuaght unknown people in my backyard at night, ??? Once there was a guy standing there looking at the pond with a flashlight?? when I went around the side to confront them they jumped over the gate breaking it in the process, not cool. That's when I put a strip of carpet tack on top of that fence, sigh,. Why must people do these things?
It's certainly can be unnerving to find someone sneaking around in your back yard. Years ago I learned the value of motion lights, and any place I live now I make sure I have good coverage of bright floodlights hooked up to motion sensors. They not only alert us as to when someone or something is moving around in our yard, they also make it easier to do things out in the yard at night. There is no perfect security system, but motion lights in combination with plenty of obvious surveillance cameras is one of the best first line of deterrents I think you can have. For locks and alarms to be effective it means you probably already have someone in your yard or home trying to break into your house.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I use shielded disc locks on my stuff and they are very hard to tamper with especially if someone tries to use a hacksaw or bolt cutters... And on the other side of the gates and doors I use a locked and loaded M-4 and a .357 which usually will stop a thief unless it is a titanium robot thief or Sasquatch :D ... Sasquatch requires the 10 gauge shotgun which I don't keep loaded so I have to tell jokes to keep him amused till I get it loaded and pumped...

Last edited:

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm partial to good beware of dog signs.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 235

Ask a Question