Took Over A Pond - Questions

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Things are going, but not that great. I learned some new info from a neighbor. Apparently this pond has not run for almost 10 years!

Im draining and removing muck, but i feel like im not even scratching the surface. Just to give you an idea, I filled up a small pickup truck almost 2 times already with crap, im going to guess with water weight, probably 1 ton of material. As im looking into the pond world, it seems like many people line the bottom with small stones. I can feel the stones at the bottom, but there is so much muck in them Im unable to lift them up. Do you think i can just leave that as is? A mucky stoney bottom? I havn't even been able to touch the liner yet, except along the top outside edges.

This is getting pretty disconcerning. I guess I'll just keep at it. I was hoping 2 full days would do it, but this may takes months to just clean it out.

Attachments

• 0322121055b.jpg
    0322121055b.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 0322121140a.jpg
    0322121140a.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't get discouraged. You are doing great work. Before you know it you will be enjoying your pond and it will be worth all the effort.

I would remove all the rocks for a couple reasons. 1. it is important you get all that gunk out and start with a fresh clean pond and 2. it will make life much easier cleaning and maintaining the pond going forward. If you have bare liner you can easily net out the bottom in spring and fall and keep it clean. The algae will soon cover the liner anyway so you wont be able to see it, no need for rocks if they are for looks. I know it seems like a hard job, but it will be worth it in the long run. :) Keep up the hard work and be sure to take breaks, drink a beer or an ice tea or whatever you enjoy.

We are cheering you on!

Reaction score
I've gotten down to the liner in the middle. Like i said its tough because of all the little stones. Im calling it a day for now. I have to figure out how to clean the edges now. I guess i'll have to do a section at a time, pull away the rocks and remove the sludge then put the rocks back into place? any ideas would be apprecaited. Also, i found that i have 3 frogs living in there. Good frogs, kinda hang out by me while i work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've gotten down to the liner in the middle. Like i said its tough because of all the little stones. Im calling it a day for now. I have to figure out how to clean the edges now. I guess i'll have to do a section at a time, pull away the rocks and remove the sludge then put the rocks back into place? any ideas would be apprecaited. Also, i found that i have 3 frogs living in there. Good frogs, kinda hang out by me while i work.

Don't put the stones back on the bottom. It will make it harder to maintain.If there are stones covering the edge of the liner, those are safe to put back.

Reaction score
Ok, the stones on the bottom are those little tiny ones. Along side are rocks, anywhere from the size of my hand to much bigger. So i'll skim all the little stones out tomorrow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you can get hold of a power washer that could help you loosen everything up .Thats a long time for neglect

Reaction score
Heres another picture, not much of a difference from the last one. But believe me I pulled tons more out.

Attachments

• 0322121457a.jpg
    0322121457a.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 253

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It sure is a mucky mess and we are there in spirit pushing you on .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think you have a diamond in the rough. Once you have it all cleaned and refilled you can sit and enjoy it.. It will be worth every second of hard work you are putting into it now. More pictures!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep just get all the stones, muck and everything out off the liner. Leave the rocks around the top edge border of the pond and don't put any back on the bottom of the pond floor. If you did that it could be the start of another build up of muck stuck in between those rocks that you couldn't remove w/ a net cuz of the rocks getting in your way. What a job and I do feel for you but ya gotta keep on doing it little by little and you'll be rewarded in the end w/ a nice clean pretty pond to cherish for years to come!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He may want to take a good look at the liner also and maybe replace it as you would not want to put everything back together and fined out the liners leaks .I took out a liner with lots of muck on the bottom and the liner had rotted in that spot and it was a 45 mil thick one .I think the only thing that retained the water was the muck .I still have it and used it for pieces for the waterfall of the people that I gave the good part of the liner too .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep, you could even just drop in a fresh liner over the existing one. That will help protect the new liner from getting damaged. Might be a good idea to just go ahead and plan on it due to the existing liners age. From what I have heard they can be iffy after 10 years and you know this one has been sitting for at least 10 years. Just make sure the old liner is clean with no rocks or sticks that could puncture the new liner.

Reaction score
Oh my goodness!! You sure have taken the bull by the horns!! You will turn the corner soon and see the light at the end of the 'tunnel'. Good luck! You will have the best before and after pictures any of us have ever seen!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are cheering you on, it will be so neat when you are done.

Ask a Question