Topping up the Pond with tap water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a rubber pond liner that is leaking, the resident moles probably.

I have a 1000 litre tank which fills up with rainwater, which tops it up but won't last long.

Can I fill it with tap water, leave it for a week or two then use it to top up the pond?

Attachments

• IMG_7100.jpg
    IMG_7100.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 7

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Doubt you would even have to leave it that long if talking about chorine and not chloramine which is more stable. I will trickle my chlorinated tap water directly into my pond to top it off. At a slow rate the chlorine does not reach a harmful concentration before it dissipates.

Reaction score
I've never had any issues from topping off directly from the hose. There have been years where i was losing as much as an inch every few days and i topped off pretty regularly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi All, I have a rubber pond liner that is leaking, the resident moles probably.

I have a 1000 litre tank which fills up with rainwater, which tops it up but won't last long.

Can I fill it with tap water, leave it for a week or two then use it to top up the pond?
Why not just put in some Chlorine/Chloromine remover each time you add the tap water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have Chlorine or Chloromine in your city water?
Good question. I just checked the town's water district Web site and all I could find was that they add potassium hydroxide (KOH) to raise the pH. Maybe I'd have to give them a call to find out.

Ask a Question