Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
This another rescue turtle that had similar shell fractures but the breaks were all on joints so he only had to be braced. The bracing is zip ties that are epoxied (low heat exothermic) onto the shell and the tension is adjusted as needed. Once the healing progresses the ties are loosened and one by one removed. The posts are all left on until the end just incase a fracture re-opens. The posts are removed with a non-toxic lubricant and a little heat that weakens the epoxy (heat-set) by making it brittle and then you just shear them off.
58add864-c7f8-49a5-95dc-0f74e303bb16.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Do breaks in the shell cause the turtle any pain?
Absolutely, the main risk is the exposed wound but the shells exterior is sensitive and the lower layers of the shell are extremely tender and sensitive. Keep in mind that the backbone is the only thing skeletal under the shell. The rest of the area under the shell is exposed organs and muscle etc so a cracked shell means all that is exposed including the nerves. Another factor is that the fracture will either push in or pull outward on the muscle and underlying tissue and can even tear sometimes.
mt012.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting to see how these things are fixed. Poor little guy. I don't think I've ever seen a turtle skeleton before either, you can see what pain it must cause them when their shell is damaged.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow Marshall, great job! The turtle shell reminded me of our finger nail that what under the nail is tender and if it tear it just tear our skin off and super painful. imagine it being on our whole body!!!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Hows he doing ?
He is doing well now. He has a private tank in the sanctuary retirement area of the rescue because he is not adoptable so I have taken him in as a permanent and personal pet as I do with all turtles who can't be adopted out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Call me weird , but I find the animals with oddities the most interesting subjects. I found a tail-less koi and just had to add him to my pond...now if only I could find that three eye'd fish from the Simpson's i'd be set.

Ask a Question