Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Another turtle tip condensed version. Full post is available for free at www.msatr.org

Bio-Filter:
Although buying a external filter specifically designed for reptiles is ideal it is not a must. Regular filters are cheaper and in many cases actually more efficient. The problem with a normal "fish filter" though is it is not tailored to turtles. Here is a quick way to convert a fish filter to a turtle or mixed habitat.
First the filter must be a modular type that has bio-media charcoal and mechanical type media such as foam, sponge etc. To make the filter ready for turtles first toss the charcoal as this is gonna be taxed and exhausted within days in a terrarium. In place of the char add water polishing pads and a thin layer of fine gravel (natural not dyed). It is best if you can make this module be the third step in the filter tower. When you clean the filter wash the gravel/polishing module with fresh water but only use tank water for the rest. Although it is not a must I personally use and recommend a simple internal or HOB filter with char that can be cleaned weekly and replaced monthly in addition to the external unit as this will help the overall quality of the water. If you have questions feel free to refer to the help section of www.msatr.org

Reaction score
I made a DIY canister filter using lava rock as media and floor buffer polishing pads for mechanical. Works great keeping my indoor turtle pond somewhat clean. I still get junk on the bottom that has to get siphon, but canister works great for bio. I also use a small DIY K1 moving bed, it helps keep water pretty clear. Unfortunately turtles are moving into glass tanks since we are moving and no room for the indoor pond, but I plan to build a square type plywood tank over the winter. Maybe move them outside during the summer.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I made a DIY canister filter using lava rock as media and floor buffer polishing pads for mechanical. Works great keeping my indoor turtle pond somewhat clean. I still get junk on the bottom that has to get siphon, but canister works great for bio. I also use a small DIY K1 moving bed, it helps keep water pretty clear. Unfortunately turtles are moving into glass tanks since we are moving and no room for the indoor pond, but I plan to build a square type plywood tank over the winter. Maybe move them outside during the summer.
Lexan is a great material for DIY tanks. I have several I have built and they are all still water tight and working even the oldest which is around 4 years old.

Reaction score
Not sure what I will do as far as build, just got to get them moved. Too bad I don't have room to bring there currently pond to basement. Second pic is the current filter, old 5 gal bucket got brittle and cracked.
20150620_190244.jpg 20150914_174533.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Not sure what I will do as far as build, just got to get them moved. Too bad I don't have room to bring there currently pond to basement. Second pic is the current filter, old 5 gal bucket got brittle and cracked.
View attachment 87553 View attachment 87554
If you do use plywood I suggest you try and find marine grade as it will do much better but obviously you want to seal any wood with a non toxic coating so nothing leaches into the water. @Dave 54 mentioned a black pond paint at one point so maybe he can tell you about it

Reaction score
Yea, Pond Shield is the best liner paint, but it's a little expensive. There are other proven liquid rubber compounds that work for plywood tanks, just have to research and decide the best one.

Ask a Question