Up flow wetland bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok most of the wetland bog filters I have seen online have a pump that pumps water into an open area in the bottom of the bog. Im guessing the pressure from the pump helps to force the water up through the rocks in the bog. However there is normally a snorkel on the other side allowing for clean out of the system and the lids I have seen for them dont look to be air tight.
What Im getting at if the lids arent air tight then it would allow water to pass through if the pump was to strong.

I say all this because was wondering could you have the snorkel for an up flow wetland bog filter be above the water and just have a pump dump water into it. There for as more water gets dumped into the snorkel it puts pressure on the water below to force it up through the rocks in the wetlands.

Why do I ask this? Because if I could just dump water into the snorkel I could then just use an air lift pump saving on the electric bill each month.

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is how I did my small bog and barrel filter. An L-shaped piece of pipe, slots cut in the bottom under the gravel, and the other end above the water line that I feed with the pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is how I did my small bog and barrel filter. An L-shaped piece of pipe, slots cut in the bottom under the gravel, and the other end above the water line that I feed with the pump.
But was it an airlift pump ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I added a video to my OP to help explain the up flow system Im talking about, but just doing away with the inbound line and using an air pump to drop water into the snorkel (if the snorkel is above the waterline that is). I just dont know if the pressure will be enough to push the water up from the bottom and through the rocks.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not an airlift, just small mag drive pumps. I was agreeing with the point that getting the water into a snorkel above the water line, no matter how, gravity will distribute it, and does not have to be airtight, given proper flow rate/volume.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not an airlift, just small mag drive pumps. I was agreeing with the point that getting the water into a snorkel above the water line, no matter how, gravity will distribute it, and does not have to be airtight, given proper flow rate/volume.
So you think this would work then, since the water is higher in the snorkel?
Or will the gravity fed pressure not be enough to push the bottom water up through the gravel?
1713541308193.png

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes. As long as the snorkel has enough height above the waterline to contain the incoming water, it will work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. As long as the snorkel has enough height above the waterline to contain the incoming water, it will work.
Good
Now do you think running it like this as an up flow system would be better then running it in reverse direction as a down flow system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting way to do it, I've never thought of doing it like that. I'm just about to put the liner in my bog and so now thinking about the pros and cons of switching the "snorkel" to the other end

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Now do you think running it like this as an up flow system would be better then running it in reverse direction as a down flow system?
By down flow you mean drop the incoming water above the gravel and draw from the pipe? If so, up flow is better IMO since the particulates will precipitate out at the bottom of the bog an be broken down there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By down flow you mean drop the incoming water above the gravel and draw from the pipe? If so, up flow is better IMO since the particulates will precipitate out at the bottom of the bog an be broken down there.
Down flow as in the water go down through the stone instead of up, then pump the water out of the snorkel instead of dumping it into the snorkel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting way to do it, I've never thought of doing it like that. I'm just about to put the liner in my bog and so now thinking about the pros and cons of switching the "snorkel" to the other end
Yeah by pumping the water out of the snorkel then you can have a down flow bog filter where the water goes down through the stone and then pumped out through the snorkel

OR

You could pump water into the snorkel and have the water pressure push the water from below up through the stones which would be an up flow bog filter.

I do like the idea of being able to do both as well as being able to put a sump pump down in the snorkel for clean out if needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah by pumping the water out of the snorkel then you can have a down flow bog filter where the water goes down through the stone and then pumped out through the snorkel

OR

You could pump water into the snorkel and have the water pressure push the water from below up through the stones which would be an up flow bog filter.

I do like the idea of being able to do both as well as being able to put a sump pump down in the snorkel for clean out if needed.
I'm building the conventional upflow filter using the the snorkel for the sump pump for the clean out. I don't think I will use it for a downflow filter other than backwash when cleaning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building the conventional upflow filter using the the snorkel for the sump pump for the clean out. I don't think I will use it for a downflow filter other than backwash when cleaning.
To be honest Im really thinking of putting a snorkel on each end, which would allow for me to clean from both ends if needed and just leaves me open for all kinds of options in the future.

Ask a Question