useful calculations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
I created a spreadsheet to iterate the head loss and pump curve data to calculate head loss and flow for user configurable plumbing and pump curve data. It also has a stream depth calculation and wier water height calculation. It worked well for my pond build. I cleaned it up so the input and output sections should be clearer for others. I would like to share it, but I'm not sure how to upload an excel sheet. Is there a way I can do this?
Thanks,
Wade

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Send a message to Becky, the admin, she could tell you how to load it. Might want it in the article section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
Ok not sure why I didn't just try zipping to begin with.

The attached spreadsheet uses the iterative solver in excel, which can be unstable. Using small pipes with larger pumps will cause calculation issues and numbers will turn to "Value". If you can follow the logic of the calculation sheet you can recover manually otherwise the easiest thing to do is just keep a copy saved as backup. The more non linear(curvy) your pump headloss/flow curve is the less stable it will be. It is based off hydaulics/civil engineering equations I found and as best I can measure it was reasonably close for my waterfall wier depth and stream depth which infers the pipe losses are also close.

Attachments

• flow estimates 4.zip
    291.2 KB · Views: 322

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok. Good deal. Glad to see Becky " liked this ".

I wasn't for sure whether it should be trusted or not to open the file.

I have taken a glance at it and looks like it is quite thorough and very interesting. :bowdown: I will take more time to further study it and will give a yell for any questions I have.

Also...

howdycowboy-1_zpse58e073e.gif
Gello22. Welcome to the forum. :banana: :afro: :claphands:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
Thanks
I posted a more recent version of this in another thread the calculations are a little more stable allowing a look at smaller pipes for the same flows. Added a few more notes as everyone thinks differently and it can be strange to step into someones calculations and make sense of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
ok I got really annoyed trying to run a scenario of adding a second pump to a line I have run to a filter :banghead3: . So I made a huge improvement to the calculation stability and an error message for when your headloss exceeds your last pump data point.

if you downloaded a previous version please toss it and use this instead. :bye2:

Attachments

• flow estimates 5_1.zip
    300.9 KB · Views: 304

Ask a Question