uv light placement

Reaction score
i have a small submersible pump in my skinner box right next to my main waterfall pump, the small pump goes to a uv light and then back out to the pond.

does it matter for the uv light to pull from the skimmer box or is it better to pull it from outside the skimmer box?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We place] our U/V-c at the emd of everything just prior to the water going back into the pond but we dont have a skimmer box , you can probaly use this placement as a model for yours but dont put it in till the summer

DAve

Last edited:
Reaction score
i just wanted to make sure i am using the light correctly, wasnt sure if it wasnt a good idea for the intake to be located behind the skimmer net etc..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cant answer that one for you sorry but hopfully someone else can

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the most important part for a uv to work is a slow flow of water .I had 2 uv's on 1 small pump with a T fitting that made it go to both uv's and the straight back into the pond .The longer the water is in contact with the uv the better .I just bought a small pump for mine to work off .I finally looked at the pump today and it is 360 gph . and uses 15 watts of power

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The clearer the water the more efficient the UV. It is recommended by all manufacturers that the UV be located where the water has already gone through all filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The clearer the water the more efficient the UV. It is recommended by all manufacturers that the UV be located where the water has already gone through all filtration.
We weve both said to place it at the end of the pipe coming out from the filtration Meyer but I'm wondering about these filters you see with the UV-C is part of the filter itself how does that work surely it would kill of all the good bacteria in the filters yes/no ?

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We weve both said to place it at the end of the pipe coming out from the filtration Meyer but I'm wondering about these filters you see with the UV-C is part of the filter itself how does that work surely it would kill of all the good bacteria in the filters yes/no ?

Dave
In those manufactured filters that also house a UV unit, the filter media is shielded from the UV rays. The bacterial biofilm and floc are never exposed to UV.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah I see quite clever when you thnk about it :LOL: thanx for the explination Meyer

Dave

Ask a Question