water color change with rains

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I am not stopping the thread. Both of you have been ask to stop all this. So you can't, I have requested that you both be banned, if not. I resign as moderator period. I have had it with you both. I came to this forum because I enjoyed a peaceful forum. The two of you have made it a point to not settle this out privately. So neither will I. That's my rant, If this forum can not be a peaceful place to enjoy I would like to resign as moderator and I'll remove myself from the forum.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nothing, YOU of all people to Say NOTHING! Do you have any clue how many reports the moderators get just about YOU! Now I have to see reports back and forth between you and Lisa. You two sound like a couple of four year olds. You won't take it to a PM you constantly have to come back with the last word at each other. Lisa whines and we have tried and tried to keep peace here. I'VE HAD IT! I don't enjoy coming to the site to listen to you two. NOTHING HUH, Here I nominate YOU to be the new moderator since it's NOTHING!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's o.k. Dave it can be dropped, thanks for getting my back. The mods should stop this thread unless trolling is condoned on this forum. You'll just be reprimanded anyway.
I cant see what for Lisa I'm just stating the blindingly obvious , the way I feel at the moment about this is walking away and leaving the site if it carries on .

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We have a 3kgal koi pond that is well stocked and in excellent chemical balance, pH usually between 7.0 and 7.4, clear, algae controlled via barley and not over feeding. Every year late fall the water will turn an orange tint soon as we have the first heavy rain, and the pH will increase to 7.6-8.0. The water remains crystal clear to the bottom (4ft), but the white koi appear yellowish when viewed thru the water and it has an orange tint...it will stay this way until March or April. I do feed Terra Vibrance, which has an orange coloring but the food is cut back in November and it's not until the rains the tint appears. I do have trees on my property that the autumn leaves do get in the pond but I'm good about scooping them out before they break down. I live in SoCal so there isn't much temperature change, or even rain for that matter. Any suggestions on the cause?

Hmm... I think the rain might have brought along with it some wind and some other debris may likely deposited in the pond. I am curious exactly how much rain you think the pond might have received. Sounds like this is related to changing water temperatures or the winds accompanying the rain has introduced something. What is for sure... something has changed the water chemistry and, with this only happening upon the changing of the seasons, then this should be indicative of something. That'd be the best I can do. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Agree crs these days with all the pollution in the air the you never know what can happen .We have had some really heavy rains here and such a swing in temps outside that even my trees are confused .At night it has been in the 20's but during the day it gets up to 55 degrees and then we will get 1 or 2 days of 70 degree weather .You have to factor in how much you feed your fish and how much waste they produce .I have a thermometer at the bottom and one at the top with a string tied from the top 1 to the bottom one and water temps are up and down .Since I got the new better food I have seen a change in the waste production from the food .Not as much fish poo on the bottom .Thinking that what food has in it makes a big difference .I used tetra before and now I am using this food .Has garlic and krill in it and got it at pet solutions .com

Attachments

• pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... I think the rain might have brought along with it some wind and some other debris may likely deposited in the pond. I am curious exactly how much rain you think the pond might have received. Sounds like this is related to changing water temperatures or the winds accompanying the rain has introduced something. What is for sure... something has changed the water chemistry and, with this only happening upon the changing of the seasons, then this should be indicative of something. That'd be the best I can do. :)
I think there is so much in the way of pollution in the world Charles that we dont know exactly what is dropping in our ponds nowadays , we live near a busy dual carriage way and the deposts that get blown about that stain our net curtains so it stands to reason it has also to be polutting our ponds, we are doing damage we cannot rectify bees are dying around the world sealife taking in chemicals .
I read a magazine that ran a story about certian whales that are part of the innuit diet being found to taste foul
The innuit have permits to hunt a few whales its their right yet they find that some are now inedible because the meat smells wrong and doesnt taste righ having a foul taste, which to me is proof something is disaterously wrong with our planet .
We are fast reaching a tipping point because of our lifestyle choices the ice is melting through green house gasses and for what , so that the few can have great wealth and power at our expense and that of the planet , in reality we dont know what is getting into our waters and that that falls from the skies or comes from the ground yet the US is fracking as is the UK , how do we know what it will do to our water supplies in the future.
How many times have our scientists invented something that we are told is safe yet 30 years later we find it killing turtles and other marine creature like with plastics .
I once had to retreive our cat killed on the expressway we went down late at night after rain and when we got back home with the poor cat the bottoms of our jeans where black with an oily substance .
Its all so sad because we are leaving a planet to our children and their children damaged by our own folly
DDT was supposed to be safe, the pestisides you as a farmer put on your land are killing the river deltas and creating dead areas in the sea its not your fault its the fault of the scientists and companies that supply it , they estimate if you stopped using it now it would take over 100 years to disapate .
Oil is killing sealife take the gulf of Mexico once pristine now due to man a mess did they do a good job cleaning up no there is still oil washing up , fish and shelfish deformed turtles dying dolphins too
The point is we are fast running out of options yet still we drive cars with petrol and diesil .
As the permafrost melts massive amounts of methane are leaching into the atmosphere , we owe it to our offspring to get our political acts together and start reforming the way we live what we drive etc, yet our Governments still cowtow to big business its all so very sad.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Agree crs these days with all the pollution in the air the you never know what can happen .We have had some really heavy rains here and such a swing in temps outside that even my trees are confused .At night it has been in the 20's but during the day it gets up to 55 degrees and then we will get 1 or 2 days of 70 degree weather .You have to factor in how much you feed your fish and how much waste they produce .I have a thermometer at the bottom and one at the top with a string tied from the top 1 to the bottom one and water temps are up and down .Since I got the new better food I have seen a change in the waste production from the food .Not as much fish poo on the bottom .Thinking that what food has in it makes a big difference .I used tetra before and now I am using this food .Has garlic and krill in it and got it at pet solutions .com
Interestingly sissy there are koi foods now such as The Tetra Koi Exellence Complete range of koi foods that have been formulated by those clever scientists at tetra to produce very little if infact anything in the way of waste nowdays :-

http://123aquatics.co.uk/products/tetra-koi-food/koi-excellence-complete-887.aspx

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why i am trying this new foo with all the new stuff in it .It has krill and plant protein and none of the fillers like whey .it says on the bag that it produces less waste .5 lb bag was 18.49 and my tetra food was 35 dollars for 3 lbs .My neighbor and I are sharing a bag and also got the Blackwater summer food because it had better ingredients in it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm waiting for the same food I ordered from them sissy. They are still out of the small pellet kind so are holding off for the complete order to be sent. I can't wait to see how my fish like this new stuff.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my fish love it and I was surprised and it already has garlic and krill in it so a win win for me .Krill stinks when you add water to it to hydrate it .I used to gag on the smell but it is good for the fish .Still may give them some ,but krill is not cheap either ,but is good for there health .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I thought o
We have a 3kgal koi pond that is well stocked and in excellent chemical balance, pH usually between 7.0 and 7.4, clear, algae controlled via barley and not over feeding. Every year late fall the water will turn an orange tint soon as we have the first heavy rain, and the pH will increase to 7.6-8.0. The water remains crystal clear to the bottom (4ft), but the white koi appear yellowish when viewed thru the water and it has an orange tint...it will stay this way until March or April. I do feed Terra Vibrance, which has an orange coloring but the food is cut back in November and it's not until the rains the tint appears. I do have trees on my property that the autumn leaves do get in the pond but I'm good about scooping them out before they break down. I live in SoCal so there isn't much temperature change, or even rain for that matter. Any suggestions on the cause?
Do you have fir barldust around the pond by chance?
f that and the only place really is where the stream from one of the waterfalls collects, but it wouldn't be much. My husband thinks it occurs before the rain, that it happens when the leaves start turning and dropping, perhaps some minerals from the leaves. I test my water and it's perfect, 0 nitrates/nitrites/ammonia and my pH stays within 0.3 points and always between 7-8, it's not "acid rain" for sure, fish are happy & healthy as can be...just the color every "winter"...I put that in quotes because, well...it's 75* again today.

Ask a Question