Waterfall Pump Humming Noise?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an OASE 8000 pump that, when I crank down on my ball valve to lesson the flow, I can hear kind of a stressed humming sound coming from the pump.

I spoke with the folks I purchased from, "thepondguy".com, and they said as long as I don't restrict the flow by more than 20% I should be fine.

Is it normal for a pump to make this noise when increasing the head with ball valve restrictions? I'm just getting this feature up and running, and for sure at times I'll want a less aggressive cascade(s).

I'm even considering at some point upgrading to the Aquascape 8000 with the remote controlled flow,..that way I won't have to deal with the ball valve restriction(s).

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. if the pump is not set flat on a solid surface it can vibrate
2. if the pump is not level it can vibrate more on one side than another.
3. like they said restricting flow can cause cavitation.
4. you may have sucked a rock or some other debris into the motor.

your mazerati just keeps giving over and over, you built a high performance alright it's always going to demand ATTENTION

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. if the pump is not set flat on a solid surface it can vibrate
2. if the pump is not level it can vibrate more on one side than another.
3. like they said restricting flow can cause cavitation.
4. you may have sucked a rock or some other debris into the motor.

your mazerati just keeps giving over and over, you built a high performance alright it's always going to demand ATTENTION
Well, since I ONLY hear this humming sound when I close down the ball valve, it would seem to me that this is a case of "discharge" cavitation, would you agree?

I'm confused... why was it recommended on here so many times that I install ball valves so I can adjust flow as needed, if using them can be damaging to the pump? Or maybe my OASE just isn't designed for that?

If the ball valves were somewhere closer to the spillway (they're currently just after the plumbing leaves the vault), would that create less stress on the pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol, BTW... when I first started this build, you may recall you said that I was "trying to build a Bentley my first time out". My wife came out yesterday while it was running, I commented on how loud it was, she says, "well, it is Bentley Falls, after all! So thanks to you we have a new tourist destination,... BENTLEY FALLS! 🤣

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MORE ACCURATELY I THINK YOU GOT A DESOTO

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You just have the single ball valve controlling the flow on the line? If so, do you have a spot you could add another to act as a relief or recirculation point? This would reduce the back pressure while still lessening the flow at the discharge end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm confused... why was it recommended on here so many times that I install ball valves so I can adjust flow as needed, if using them can be damaging to the pump? Or maybe my OASE just isn't designed for that?
YOU CAN HAVE 6 BALL VALVES OPEN ONLY 1/4 and still be above 20% of the pumps volume

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmmm, not sure I get the reference?, Maybe because of all the problems I'm having!? :cry:
joke
You just have the single ball valve controlling the flow on the line? If so, do you have a spot you could add another to act as a relief or recirculation point? This would reduce the back pressure while still lessening the flow at the discharge end.
he has two water channels / streams one ball on each i would assume

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD , I spoke with the tech at "thepondguy" regarding the ball valve issue. She explained that I could also use a "bleeder valve" to reduce the flow, which wouldn't affect the pump at all, but would just return the water to the basin. I understand the concept, but still can't visualize exactly where this bleeder valve would go, or how I would route back into the basin. Do you have any experience with "bleeder valves"?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, a single ball valve per line, I have two streams, one pump per. Not sure I understand how adding another ball valve down the line somewhere would help the back pressure? Would I just make each restriction less, thus adding up to the same amount?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, a single ball valve per line, I have two streams, one pump per. Not sure I understand how adding another ball valve down the line somewhere would help the back pressure? Would I just make each restriction less, thus adding up to the same amount?
two pumps one to each stream makes the ball valve almost pointless. unless you just want to slow the water down a little but you are choking it down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
two pumps one to each stream makes the ball valve almost pointless. unless you just want to slow the water down a little but you are choking it down.
Ok, so, if on occasion I wanted to slow it down a lot, would adding another ball valve up closer to the spillway help, without possibly damaging the pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the idea behind ball valves is one to manually shut down a line.

the other is to take water from one line that splits into two , three or more. you can adjust the flow to each line from one pump .

like they said more than 20 25% and your working the pump to where it could not last as long . its head pressure making the pump work harder then it needs to

Ask a Question