well fed open system pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would start by having some serious bog to the system. I agree with testing your source water for phosphates and nitrates.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That is one beautiful pond. I filter using a very large plant bog, up flow pea gravel filter, whatever you want to call it. Keeps the string algae, green water under control.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Considering your location, I would be willing to bet the farm that your source water is quite high in Phosphorus. The Florida peninsula is practically solid Phosphate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi welcome pretty pond , i can only say add alot of plants they will consume nutrients , ur water is healthy extra rich , add fishes that eats algae may b grass carp etc try to scoop out to control monthly , it usualy blooms in spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That is one beautiful pond. I filter using a very large plant bog, up flow pea gravel filter, whatever you want to call it. Keeps the string algae, green water under control.
Thanks Addy, and Usman, That seems to be the general
consensus.
Have started expanding the bog area and adding plants, .Have 2 two types of cichlids that are algae eaters (about 20 of the adults and noticed today about 30-40 juveniles.Also added more large Plecos so between the bog plants and fish should begin to see improvement.

Addy ,your ponds sound incredible! Have you uploaded photos?
I used to live outside of Baltimore, in Lutherville for a couple of years. Don't miss the weather......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Considering your location, I would be willing to bet the farm that your source water is quite high in Phosphorus. The Florida peninsula is practically solid Phosphate.
I think your right but will let you know tomorrow. Picked up a test kit this evening ...Did you check the articles about the nuclear waste water? The are going to build a storage aquifer under the Biscayne aquifer....EPA says no environmental impact. HSMF!!! unbelievable!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
hi welcome pretty pond , i can only say add alot of plants they will consume nutrients , ur water is healthy extra rich , add fishes that eats algae may b grass carp etc try to scoop out to control monthly , it usualy blooms in spring
Just noticed your hardiness zone are you in Hawaii by any chance?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Click the red my pond link in my sig, I am not the best at uploading, that is my build.

here are some also
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pond-in-frederick-md.9532/
Wow! I thought I was hands on, good for you! No problem with tractors for most tasks but never learned to operate a backhoe or dig with a bucket. The pond down here was built in collaboration with a man who has done this for years with his brother and now himself. The feature was my vision and it took Bryan and his crew of 4 7 months to complete and everything was quarried here on site. .Since they finished I've been planting and working with an hatchet ,pick and drywall axe to chip out pockets for plants in the walls and spillway shelf and now for the new bog area. Truthfully I don't think it will ever be "finished". Every time I look at it I see something new I'd like to do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we moved into this house, we decided to plant some emerald green arboretums, it took the two of with a digging bar, pick axe, shovel two days to put in 6 trees. They were in 3 gallon pots.
The shale right below the dirt was unreal.

Dear honey started looking for a used tractor for me, then on our 1st year anniversary he bought me the kubota, brand new.

He has still never even turned it on, it is mine..............lol. I learned to use it by trial and error butt in the seat learning. The pond dig made me very comfortable with it. I use it all of the time, mainly now hauling all the winter trimmings to the woods. We did just buy a tiller for it. I need to till and replant my wildflower gardens.

Ask a Question