What test kits do you use ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We all test our water perameters on a regular basis I was jusst wondering what test kits do we all use ?
We oursellves use the Tetra Pond Test kits because they are quick and easy to use you get a great chart to compare your readings on .
As to Price well yes they cost about £19.00 here in the UK .
We have also used the API test kits before but much prefare the tetra however API is alsoa great make and is a tad cheaper than the tetra rage but unlike tetra they dont provide refills for their kits and Tetra do.
Whats your favourite kit

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use API drop test kits. I test for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, PH, and KH. I test for all of that only because I also have aquariums, so when I test, I just do them all at the same time.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Test as often as you like as there is no harm in it. I mostly use API or tetra although I use other brands like red sea when I run an experiment and want to track something more closely with a test using 3 or 4 regents. Never paper strips always liquid and powders.

My water is hard enough that I do not have to worry about a pH crash. I only test when a pond or aquarium is cycling. With aquariums nitrate testing can be done to determine a water change schedule. Once I figure that out I only test if something seems wrong. After you do this enough you have a decent idea about water changing without testing.

Do not chase you pH with chemicals to raise or lower it. If you have soft water use oyster shells to buffer it. In most other cases just leave it alone. Goldfish and koi want a stable pH.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our water is very very soft and acidic, the oyster shells get it to just below the 100 level, the ph tends to sit around 7ish in the pond. (well water is 5.4)

Reaction score
The main "kit" was by Pond Care (liquid) ... items that have run out, not needing a whole new kit, are by API ... no preference, just buy whichever is available.

Reaction score
HTH said:
Test as often as you like as there is no harm in it. I mostly use API or tetra although I use other brands like red sea when I run an experiment and want to track something more closely with a test using 3 or 4 regents. Never paper strips always liquid and powders.

My water is hard enough that I do not have to worry about a pH crash. I only test when a pond or aquarium is cycling. With aquariums nitrate testing can be done to determine a water change schedule. Once I figure that out I only test if something seems wrong. After you do this enough you have a decent idea about water changing without testing.

Do not chase you pH with chemicals to raise or lower it. If you have soft water use oyster shells to buffer it. In most other cases just leave it alone. Goldfish and koi want a stable pH.
I bought the API Master test kit and my PH is at 8.8. So I do not have to worry about a high PH? I do have very hard water and my previous tests were using the test strips and those indicated that I had Total Alkalinity of 120 and Total Hardness of 250. Again those are on the test strips and I need to by the liquid tests for those too.

One person working at the garden center who isn't the guy I normally deal with freaked out and said the PH was too high and suggested I use PH down. Now I am against the use of chemicals and from what I've read on here that high PH is not necessarily a cause for concern, its a stable PH and the ability to buffer it to PH crashes. With hard water, I do NOT need to worry about the High PH?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51120]I use api and my ph is at 9 and stays at 9 /It is when it jumps up and down you have to worry

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think they don't know and just want tell sell something and these are not fish tanks these are ponds .I hate when a garden center person tries to scare you into buying something .I have run into it several times at garden centers and ended up helping the people .If they don't know and are not sure then don't comment .I even tell the people they just need a test kit and need to see what that says .Funny how most of them never knew they should test the water .First thing I bought was a test kit and i knew nothing except i had a hole in the ground with water and fish and a pump and small filter .You never stop learning new things .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
HTH said:
Thanks Sissy. Just keep an eye on the fish. They will let you know when they have a problem.
Yes, but the burials can get a bit tedious! :bye2:
John

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
HARO said:
Yes, but the burials can get a bit tedious! :bye2:
John

People need to watch their fish and learn to know what they look like when they are fat and happy. Clamped fins, hiding, listing or any odd behavior is a warning flag. This may be a bit easier for people who started with aquariums.

Ask a Question