Wildlife pond ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just dug what will hopefully be a wildlife pond in our garden in dundry next to bristol, uk (not sure how international this forum is). It's about 2m by 1m and 45cm deep in the middle, with a shallow shelf to one end and a few other shelf bits at other parts. We've got some irises and lilies in there and thinking of a shaded fern rockery somewhere and turning the very shallow part into a beach but not entirely sure how to do that effectively.Apart from that, coming up a bit blank now on what else to do. What are people's suggestions for creating the best wildlife pond possible i.e various plants for the pond and habitats to create around it. Thanks in advance
pond1.jpeg
pond2.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know much about wildlife ponds. @bagsmom has built herself one and has shared some from Youtube as well. Hopefully she will hop in here!

One thing I do know is pond plants and I can tell you this - that iris will overtake your pond in a season. Not a great choice for a tiny pond like yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was just getting ready to suggest Joel Ashton!!!! I think you will LOVE him! Mark Wilson (AnyPond UK, I think) also has some earlier videos of small wildlife ponds.
I built mine for the wildlife in my area - but I think a proper "wildlife pond" means a small pond for smaller creatures without fish. I have fish in mine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome buoy.gif
@pondboy3000
I know it's kinda late now but w/a bit more work on your part you can make a short shelf around that pond so that the liner (hopefully you have enough liner tucked in on that top edge to do this) does not show and raise it up w/a berm so runnoff will not create dirt from running into your pond and messing it all up. You can then put rocks on the shelf in the water and more rocks or driftwood etc. on the top berm edge and allow plants to crawl over and into your pond. The built up dirt berm hill around the pond w/the liner over it will be what stops the dirt from flowing into your pond.

IMG_6047.JPG

Eventually plants will hide the rocks and look more natural.

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

@j.w is it best not to have turf round the edge then? would prefer not to but would also not want to have nutrient imbalances​

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

@j.w is it best not to have turf round the edge then? would prefer not to but would also not want to have nutrient imbalances​

Turf grows on dirt and any rain will just wash that dirt right into your pond. Maybe someone here knows how to allow turf around the pond w/o the dirt running into the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turf grows on dirt and any rain will just wash that dirt right into your pond. Maybe someone here knows how to allow turf around the pond w/o the dirt running into the pond?
was thinking to cut triangular runs of the dug up turf, with the grass on the top and wedge them along the liner/turf boundary so there's no exposed dirt showing and hope the grass prevents soil going into the pond. will experiment

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
was thinking to cut triangular runs of the dug up turf, with the grass on the top and wedge them along the liner/turf boundary so there's no exposed dirt showing and hope the grass prevents soil going into the pond. will experiment
You are allowed to try whatever you want to :happy:

Ask a Question