winter evaporation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your still going to get the melt water when things start to thaw out Lisa , sadly that cannot be helped
Why would I care if the snow melts in my pond? I've actually gone out and shoveled snow INTO the pond to raise the water level. Free water is free water in my mind.

We feed our fish with a light hand Meyer - I like them grazing on the algae both as a good food source and to keep the algae clipped. We're never in too much of a hurry to start feeding in the spring. The water temp was around 42 degrees still - too cold to feed according to most recommendations. But apparently no one told the fish it was too cold to eat!

I'm going to pay closer attention to the algae in the early spring pond - maybe drop the camera down and see what I can see under the snow and ice. My family already thinks I'm nuts, so why not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why would I care if the snow melts in my pond? I've actually gone out and shoveled snow INTO the pond to raise the water level. Free water is free water in my mind.

We feed our fish with a light hand Meyer - I like them grazing on the algae both as a good food source and to keep the algae clipped. We're never in too much of a hurry to start feeding in the spring. The water temp was around 42 degrees still - too cold to feed according to most recommendations. But apparently no one told the fish it was too cold to eat!

I'm going to pay closer attention to the algae in the early spring pond - maybe drop the camera down and see what I can see under the snow and ice. My family already thinks I'm nuts, so why not!

Cold snow Lisa it can and does drop the temperature down we find the algae on the sides and bottom of the pond are cropped low like new mown grass by the time the covers come off and we start feeding again

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Cold snow Lisa it can and does drop the temperature down

Dave, we got almost 20 inches of snow yesterday. That weight of that amount of snow proves challenging to roofs on shopping centers built by skilled engineers. We have a house with a steeply pitched roof, but people who have flatter style roofs use roof rakes to pull the snow off of their house to keep them from collapsing. I can't imagine what kind of structure I could build that could do any better. As for solid sheets of polycarbonate - how heavy would you imagine THAT would be at 14 feet by 18 feet? And then how would I get the snow off of that? I know people do clear the snow off their ponds but I'd be afraid that I would find myself through the ice. I like my fish, but not enough to take a cold dip.

No, we'll keep our pond cold and expect our koi to do their best to adapt to the conditions. So far they've done well - no reason to expect otherwise in the future. Today we can't see the waterfall moving as it's completely covered in snow as is the rest of the pond. But past experience tells us all is well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, we got almost 20 inches of snow yesterday. That weight of that amount of snow proves challenging to roofs on shopping centers built by skilled engineers. We have a house with a steeply pitched roof, but people who have flatter style roofs use roof rakes to pull the snow off of their house to keep them from collapsing. I can't imagine what kind of structure I could build that could do any better. As for solid sheets of polycarbonate - how heavy would you imagine THAT would be at 14 feet by 18 feet? And then how would I get the snow off of that? I know people do clear the snow off their ponds but I'd be afraid that I would find myself through the ice. I like my fish, but not enough to take a cold dip.

No, we'll keep our pond cold and expect our koi to do their best to adapt to the conditions. So far they've done well - no reason to expect otherwise in the future. Today we can't see the waterfall moving as it's completely covered in snow as is the rest of the pond. But past experience tells us all is well.

Many people put together a frame work and attach the sheets to them so you put it up piece by piece and take it apart the same way .
The pitch of the structure would be for you to work out but you could probably copy that of the roof so that iiits self cleaning .
I would never suggest anyone walk on ice unless they first know the depth is such that it would support a huuman adult .
This is where the ponder and the koi keeper differ in the hobby,as protecting the koi from all the winter can throw at it, its our main concern.
Polycarbonate is lighter than you think and two people can easily lift them this is why we make our covers out of it .
Another way would be to construct a Poly tunnel over the pond some koi keepers do it that way and have airlocks either end so the can enter and exit , you see this structure over larger ponds like you own often double glazed some heated.
It was mearely a suggesting a solution to the problem of ice and snow, as to whether you would do this is down to the individual fish keeper we each have our ways Colleen uses a cattle heater, inline pond heaters pond heaters, some like myself Polycarbonate , others polytunnels , some swear by ping pong ball (you heard that right):LOL:
Fish and pond Forums can be used for many things in our case helping with fish health .
But its information and ideas and running ideas past people so that they find their own solutions that is equally important .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
We sometimes get more evaporation in winter than summer - my theory is the air is so dry is just sucks the water right up. I know... the brain of a scientist! Wind is another factor.

Why are you always worrying about a leak?
The water evaporates because the air above the pond gets colder than the water. The water is then literally sucked into the colder atmosphere

Ask a Question