winterizing pond plants - live in pennsylvania

Reaction score
looking to witnerize in the fall water lillies, dwarf umbrelllas and maybe a few more plants by that point. was wondering if anyone on the forums live in PA as i have a few questions like- how to...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am in maryland zone 6b or so. Can help you if you have the plants I know something about

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hardy lilies you can just lower them in your pond as long as it can't freeze to that depth and umbrellas in PA you may need to take indoors .I put some of my water plants in water in the basement .My neighbor got a concrete claw foot tub and put it in her basement and she puts some of her plants in it ,looks cute too .As a matter of fact she owes me I helped get that darn tub in there ,heavy sucker .2 hand trucks and almost 5 hours getting it from the driveway to the basement at the back of the house .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy have her help you haul that concrete tub in and out for your water hyacinth.............she owes ya that!

Reaction score
do i need to cut back the water lillies or can i leave them as is? also for the umbrellas if i just got a beer tub and filled it with water in my basement would that work?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You cut back all the old stems on the water lilies and leave those little short ones sprouting from the tuber intact for the next growing season. If the tubers start to get large you can divide them at the start of the growing season wherever there is growth and leave some roots on each part you cut. Oh and if you don't wear gloves you will end up w/ purple fingers. I never wear gloves,lol!
Don't know about umbrella plants tho............never had one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main thing is to not let the tuber freeze.

Ask a Question