Winters coming! (Soon)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So my first winter with my new pond. Wanting to make sure I've covered everything I need to before winter comes. Checked earlier and I think I'm zone 9a? What are the main steps I need to take to make sure everything survives the winter?

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So my first winter with my new pond. Wanting to make sure I've covered everything I need to before winter comes. Checked earlier and I think I'm zone 9a? What are the main steps I need to take to make sure everything survives the winter?

Thanks
Is your hardiness zone of 9a the same as ours here in the US? I'm in the US hardiness zone 8b-ish, and we hardly have anything you would call winter here......soooooo, just wanting to clarify that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's not too bad really, the odd bit of snow maybe twice over winter. The pond is built under a shelter and runs along the back of my neighbours house so is pretty well sheltered.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's not too bad really, the odd bit of snow maybe twice over winter. The pond is built under a shelter and runs along the back of my neighbours house so is pretty well sheltered.
What are your average temps for winter? And are your lows sustained where you get freezes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it freezes it would only last a few hours, as soon as the suns up it Will probably melt, the pond is pretty much 6 inches lower than ground level which I'm hoping is an advantage.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would advise making sure that you have a comfortable chair next to your pond to sit in for total enjoyment. Zone 9a, you need not be concerned about any special preparations for Winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would advise making sure that you have a comfortable chair next to your pond to sit in for total enjoyment. Zone 9a, you need not be concerned about any special preparations for Winter.
We have a nice swinging egg chair next to the pond. Hopefully it stays dry long enough to sit out

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Honestly take everything out of you can. Let the water freeze over. Disconnect all pumps and hoses. Bring inside. And get a kiddie pool and bring the koi inside. I do it every year and it's so much easier. Yes I have a bs big aquarium in the basement. But I get to enjoy my koi year round

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Honestly take everything out of you can. Let the water freeze over. Disconnect all pumps and hoses. Bring inside. And get a kiddie pool and bring the koi inside. I do it every year and it's so much easier. Yes I have a bs big aquarium in the basement. But I get to enjoy my koi year round
He/she lives in a zone where freezing shouldn't be an issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do it every year and it's so much easier.

Easier than just leaving everything where it is? I don't think so. The changing seasons are one of my favorite things about having a pond and gardens. There's something very relaxing about the down time, when the pond is frozen over, the plants have all died back, and the fish and I are all counting the days until spring comes and we can all be reacquainted. There's nothing difficult about getting a pond ready for winter if you have built a pond properly.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But the OP lives in zone 9a. I live in zone 8b. There is no reason to "shut down" the pond. In these zones we really don't even have seasons like everyone else does. Last winter, my pond barely even got into the 50's-60's range.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But the OP lives in zone 9a. I live in zone 8b. There is no reason to "shut down" the pond. In these zones we really don't even have seasons like everyone else does. Last winter, my pond barely even got into the 50's-60's range.

It is curious that the OP was worried about winterizing...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
New people don't know what to worry about until they go through a winter, summer spring

Ask a Question