10' x 12' pond 2,000 galls 4 foot waterfalls need filter help

Reaction score
my lotuses i cut everything above the waterline before winter,maybe water got in the tubers and froze and killed them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jayhoward1982 said:
my lotuses i cut everything above the waterline before winter,maybe water got in the tubers and froze and killed them.

This will be my first winter with the lotus, hopefully will do what is good for them lol

From the net:

Do not cut off your leaves. Let them shrivel and sag. Then it is safe to cut them off above the water line. You don't want water getting into the green stem and having it sucked into the tuber by the air channels. If this happens, you have just "drowned" your prize tuber.

I cut the lotus that I have left over from the season back after the pads and stems have turned completely brown. I then drop them in the bottom of ponds that are at least 24 inches deep. For the ones I have growing in a bog area, I cut those back the same way and then mulch them over with bags of leaves. Then about a month before it's time to uncover them (usually about mid-March) I dump the old leaves over them. The rotting leaves feed the plants.
I pull the plants that are in the deeper ponds about mid-April and repot if needed. If I can't get to them on time I postpone repotting or dividing until the next spring. However I will cut the extra growth runners any time. I hate repotting or dividing when I see very active growth because it's so easy to break those brittle grow points, no matter how careful I try to be. I would like to do it earlier, but sometimes the weather is still just too cold to work in.

Reaction score
jay,
you will be surprised how clear the water will be once you get a DIY skippy filter. I have a 2900 gallon pond with a 40 gallon skippy barrel and a 150 gallon Rubbermaid trough that has laundry bags filled with plastic fencing in it. The water seen from the waterfall is clear.
I also have lotus and i drop it to the bottom of my pond (4').

Reaction score
I was gonna use two 55 gallon drums for my filtration system i think that should be sufficent,my biggest problem is cutting my 2 inch line going from the pump to the waterfall wier i dont want to dig up any of my plumbing,Could i use a 2" to 2" rubber plumbing gasket to reconnect the pipes without any leaks?

Reaction score
also my pump is a 6,000gph hydrive pondmaster pump pumping 10 feet up a hill.My tubing going from the pump is 2" i guess i would have to have a 2"inlet going into the first 55gal drum and then a 3"-or 4" going into the second and then a 2" comin out of the 2nd 55 galll and going back into my filter,does that sound correct to u guys?

Reaction score
i got my drums from the local car wash. the Rubbermaid tub I got from tractor supply.
filters(matala) i got online. i got laundry bags from dollar store and the plastic fencing from lowes.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jayhoward1982 said:
I was gonna use two 55 gallon drums for my filtration system i think that should be sufficent,my biggest problem is cutting my 2 inch line going from the pump to the waterfall wier i dont want to dig up any of my plumbing,Could i use a 2" to 2" rubber plumbing gasket to reconnect the pipes without any leaks?

My hubby loves those rubber flexible connections, we have two attaching our pump to the plumbing with no issues. Just make sure you tighten well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jayhoward1982 said:
also my pump is a 6,000gph hydrive pondmaster pump pumping 10 feet up a hill.My tubing going from the pump is 2" i guess i would have to have a 2"inlet going into the first 55gal drum and then a 3"-or 4" going into the second and then a 2" comin out of the 2nd 55 galll and going back into my filter,does that sound correct to u guys?

Don't see why not, the second 55 gallon will be going into the pond, not your filter right?

I think you could have two inch between the two drums also. or if you have 3 inch between the drums you might want 3 inch coming out of the last drum back into the pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes the flexible rubber connectors will work fine, I used them in several sections throughout my plumbing run for 6 years now and no problems.

Ask a Question