4 month old pond green

Reaction score
UV is 100% effective in clearing green water when used correctly. Correct flow, bulb still powerful enough, glass sleeve is pretty clean, etc... Since you have the UV already and sounds like you don't want green water I'd fired it up. Don't worry about removing the killed algae, it will decompose on the bottom. Vacuum if you like.

As to why your pond turned green...no one knows. Lots of species of algae, and science hasn't even for sure decided on whether they are plant, animal or bacteria. We know very little about algae life cycle. Given limited info people often draw conclusions that don't generally hold up very well. Here are a few favorites...

Green = photosynthesis = sun. If your pond is green it must be getting too much sun. Yet there are millions of ponds and bodies of water in full sun that are not green. And in full dense shade there are many that are green.

Green = nutrients. Yet virtually every single crystal clear on the planet has higher ammonia and nitrogen levels than every green pond. If you test your pond I'd be betting zero ammonia and zero or very low nitrogen. I know this because you pond is green. That means conditions allow for algae growth and they consume all ammonia and nitrogen as soon as it becomes available. When your pond clears ammonia and nitrogen can increase...a lot. So if ever there was a time to test ammonia it is when you do something to clear a green pond, like turn on a UV. Algae consume ammonia directly so bacteria that convert ammonia don't multiply as much and when the water suddenly clears there's a little while (few days) when ammonia consumption is low and it can build up.

Temperature = spring = green. Yet many ponds stay clear all year, for years and years. And many ponds stay green all year and stay green for years and years.

Balance = ??? I don't even know what that means other than if your pond is what you want it must be in balance. A green pond is every bit as natural as a clear pond...maybe more so. We generally push ponds to be clear.

We do know, thanks to Norm Meck, that clear pond water often (we don't know percentages) contains a chemical that kills green water algae on contact. A poison if you will. What produces the chemical isn't certain, Norm's theory was a bacteria produced it. My theory has been it's produced by other algae, bigger algae like string algae, based on my own experiments and also that this type of behavior is common for organisms (allelochemicals). It's been seen in saltwater algae but freshwater algae hasn't been studied as far as I can tell. There is evidence coming from aquarist using string algae but they seem confused on why it works. Still, best theory I have.

What this all boils down to...

UV is 100% effective when done right, but watch ammonia. Often UV can be turned off after a week or month as string algae (macro algae) starts to grow. And you may never need to turn it on again. Then you'll want to know how to control string algae.

Trickle Towers and streams can be very effective because they give string algae a place to grow where they can get more sun, O2 and over come the defenses produced by the green water algae.

24/7 drip water changes can be effective. It basically flushes alway algae faster then they can reproduce and also gives string algae a better chance to grow.

Beyond that there are dozens, maybe hundreds of "cures". Magnets, barley straw, salt, bacteria, phosphate binders, etc... It's endless. And I'm pretty sure if any of them actually worked there wouldn't be hundreds of "cures".

That brings me to the point...be careful of the internet. I've seen more ponds filled in by people after trying dozens of "cures" promoted online and feeling like failures. #1 reason more people don't keep ponds are the pond "experts" promoting silliness online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
WOW, Waterbug, thats alot of good information :) ... i'm pretty sure the pond is getting too much sun, the sun hit the pond first thing in the mornings,,all the way through the day till approx 4pm and later as the days grow longer. over my previous pond we did have a sun sail , so today i put that up which covers a portion of the pond.
Maybe ill try turning on the UV for a few days or week , see how that works,,,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually that was a lot of good info from wb. Every pond is indeed different. My last pond was in partial shade and only got a few full hours of sun everyday. As a result it never got very green. if anything it would get a brown algae in the spring. I always knew when it cycled because litterally all the string algae would dissapear overnight. A few things that worked for me is I never turned on my uv light until my pond cycled this way I left the algae unharmed that was keeping my ammonia and nitrite levels low. Also I barely fed my fish until the pond cycled to keep excess nutrients very low. I have a new pond and it will get lot more sun so I'm sure I'll have to do things a little differently this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Beyond that there are dozens, maybe hundreds of "cures". Magnets, barley straw, salt, bacteria, phosphate binders, etc... It's endless. And I'm pretty sure if any of them actually worked there wouldn't be hundreds of "cures".
I think most of those "cures" fall into the "it helps a little bit, sometimes" category, but I have been tempted to try the magnet for grins and giggles sometime. I know the EPA shut down the magnet purveyors for selling an unregistered herbicide, but that's not the same as ineffective.

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the pond is getting too much sun
That s a popular belief, but it isn't the issue. The confusion is that more sunlight can increase algae growth if other conditions are right too, but even ponds in the most dense shade can be green. More sunlight only means more green. But green is green. Clear is different. Test this for your self and ask anyone with a goldfish bowl in their house if the get algae...yep. Sunlight, the wave length algae needs, is virtually zero in most places inside a house. Point is algae need so little sunlight to grow than in an outdoor pond it just isn't a factor. But it's a belief I don't think is going away any time soon.

Maybe ill try turning on the UV for a few days or week , see how that works,,,
If it doesn't work in a week there is a problem with the UV unit...or the problem isn't algae. I've seen many times people say they have an algae problem but turns out to be something else. Some concepts are difficult to convey online.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'm pretty sure the pond is getting too much sun, the sun hit the pond first thing in the mornings,,all the way through the day

My pond is full sun all of the time, it gets a break as the sun sets. Never green, even early spring. I have maybe a day of murky water the first day everything is turned back on. The only filtering I do is with a large plant filled pea gravel up flow filter, i.e. bog. The surface area of the bog filter is around 25% of the surface area of the pond. Right now you can see the trap door snails in the 5 foot area that are hanging out on the bottom of the pond. I would run down and take a pic, but a little to far away to do that.

Never have used a UV, chemicals etc.

Ask a Question