A work in progress

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I absolutely love all the irregular shapes you added to your design. That had to be a chore to get even epdm to contour to them. .. did you cut the liner to make the liner conform to those areas?

It's not as hard as you may think to hide the liner . having the extra material is a huge benefit. Now in the drawing forget about the measurements it was drawn for someone else. the heights are irrelevant. basically you want you shelf to be a minimum of 2 inches below the rock. this way your rock is coming up out of the water. However evaporation is going to drop the water level. will there be an automatic water replenish system ? if so then 2" is perfect. if not and your travel bit here and there and there is no system to replenish then maybe 4 or more is prefered.

I get comment all the time how natural my pond looks . one of the reasons i feel is i do not have boulder after boulder tip to tip i have gaps between them here and there and have some drift wood there or a planting area. if you have like a left over 4 foot flap of liner making a very shallow area for fry to hide outside the main footprint could be a very very cool. another trick i used was to leave Fabric not so much liner exposed and let mosses grow onto the fabric . you have to keep in mind though that low edges can absorb water UP and over even a 2" lift fabric can work like a sponge creating leaks so don't let the fabric get outside the liner unless you have a very high edge for the water to climb.

In the photo you can see a tree stump on the left and running off to the right and up toward the two limbs in the center of the photo . There is a bunch of moss that goes right down into the pond. That is actually a cinderblock wall that has only a layer of fabric the liner and then a second layer of fabric over that and i placed a thin layer of decaying leaves and dropped some moss on it 4 years later the only way you know what's below is if i pointed it out
moss wall (1 of 1).jpg

Pond 2[11688].jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am actually thinking really hard about moving all rocks and building a shelf before plants start growing
it's really not that much work in comparison to all the work you have already done and the benefits are huge don't be affraid to have a shelf going along then stop and have a pocket where a plant or even a tree stump can fill the space of just let the liner run away from the pond and burry it under what will become part of the lawn or a beach area
edging 1629464060267 (1).png
edging.png

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I absolutely love all the irregular shapes you added to your design. That had to be a chore to get even epdm to contour to them. .. did you cut the liner to make the liner conform to those areas?

It's not as hard as you may think to hide the liner . having the extra material is a huge benefit. Now in the drawing forget about the measurements it was drawn for someone else. the heights are irrelevant. basically you want you shelf to be a minimum of 2 inches below the rock. this way your rock is coming up out of the water. However evaporation is going to drop the water level. will there be an automatic water replenish system ? if so then 2" is perfect. if not and your travel bit here and there and there is no system to replenish then maybe 4 or more is prefered.

I get comment all the time how natural my pond looks . one of the reasons i feel is i do not have boulder after boulder tip to tip i have gaps between them here and there and have some drift wood there or a planting area. if you have like a left over 4 foot flap of liner making a very shallow area for fry to hide outside the main footprint could be a very very cool. another trick i used was to leave Fabric not so much liner exposed and let mosses grow onto the fabric . you have to keep in mind though that low edges can absorb water UP and over even a 2" lift fabric can work like a sponge creating leaks so don't let the fabric get outside the liner unless you have a very high edge for the water to climb.

In the photo you can see a tree stump on the left and running off to the right and up toward the two limbs in the center of the photo . There is a bunch of moss that goes right down into the pond. That is actually a cinderblock wall that has only a layer of fabric the liner and then a second layer of fabric over that and i placed a thin layer of decaying leaves and dropped some moss on it 4 years later the only way you know what's below is if i pointed it out View attachment 148491
View attachment 148490
And no I did not cut liner I let it get really hot and folded I work with rubber for a living so I know how to manipulate it some and I love the moss idea and I have enough liner fir about a 3 in ledge I really appreciate all your feed back hear is my pond full.

Attachments

• Resized_20220320_095857.jpeg
    Resized_20220320_095857.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah your just basically making the shelf that the rocks are now on drop down into the water a couple inches. and have a vertical wall on the back side of the rocks there the rocks hide the liners termination.

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yeah your just basically making the shelf that the rocks are now on drop down into the water a couple inches. and have a vertical wall on the back side of the rocks there the rocks hide the liners termination.
It will happen this week more than likely it's been a thought of mine so I might as well jump on it before all the plant growth starts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my easy chair is already set up out at the pond. Finished the last of the patio around the pond and stopped a low area from allowing a little run off toward the pond not sure if it was making it in but i know it's not now.

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my easy chair is already set up out at the pond. Finished the last of the patio around the pond and stopped a low area from allowing a little run off toward the pond not sure if it was making it in but i know it's not now.
I just tore .I've apart shelf is going in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking forward to seeing it once liner is covered up, it looks great overall, and I looove the idea of a cichlid pond. Would love some Malawis one day. Some oscars, too.

Also, totally going to steal a bunch of the liner-hiding ideas. Ours needs trimming down and it’s completely visible at the moment :X3:

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looking forward to seeing it once liner is covered up, it looks great overall, and I looove the idea of a cichlid pond. Would love some Malawis one day. Some oscars, too.

Also, totally going to steal a bunch of the liner-hiding ideas. Ours needs trimming down and it’s completely visible at the moment :X3:
Thanks very much I definitely like my cichlids

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

This is pond now

Attachments

• 20220321_203226.jpg
    20220321_203226.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220324_200643.jpg
    20220324_200643.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a difference well worth the effort .nice work . Now for those pipes maybe take a tree limb and hollow it out ? A tree a stump? some flex pvc never buy kink free

Ask a Question