Progress on new pond...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Several of you have asked where we stand with the new pond at our new home.

We got the proposal back last week. STICKER SHOCK! The overall cost was way more than we expected — but to be fair, we didn’t know what to expect, soooo....

We dug our last pond, and everything was DIY. That pond included a satellite-bog for the turtle habitat. We didn’t keep up with our costs (over the 6 years of building, renovating, and adding to....), so it’s possible that over a 6-year period, we may have met or exceeded this STICKER SHOCK price tag.

Hubby and I are going to go through the proposal and see what things we can do without, or wait and do in phases, then get with the builders again. We are down-sizing from the original 3000 gallons (at our old house), and concentrating mostly on the bog and another satellite-bog for the box turtles. Right now, the turtles are brumating (reptile version of hibernation), so we won’t even see them until spring. They don’t need their bog just yet, as this will mean building them a complete new, permanent habitat and uprooting them (this needs to wait until they come out of brumation — it would be super stressful for them to try and move them now). The GF are happy in their temporary “pond,” so they are good for now.

So, we’re still waiting......and will keep you updated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can't wait and hope you video them while they build it.
Oh, I plan to! And I’ve already told the guy that he’s going to have a hard time keeping me out of the hole, and digging right along beside them, LOL! The most fun I’ve had was operating the little excavator we rented to dig the first pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a 3000 gallon was a huge price was there to be rock in the pond?

Ask a Question