Adhesives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What type of adhesive could I use to help stabilize some of my rocks to my liner? There are just 2 on my waterfall that no matter what I do just want to slide down into my pond. There must be something? Shouldn't matter if it is non-toxic or not as these rocks aren't in the water. Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have used the pl roofing compound, also expanding foam to anchor rocks to the liner. Both can be used around fish. Also the pl construction cement. The expanding foam really anchored the rocks, had to yank like all get out to move them, redoing the top pond. Making it bigger for the deck pond waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Expanding foam, as in waterfall foam? I will try it then tomorrow, after the rocks have dried thoroughly from falling in....Hopefully I can keep them on there long enough for the stuff to set!! Thanks Addy1!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It works even if they are a little wet, I use the expanding foam, normal stuff, not the waterfall stuff, throw some sand, gravel, dirt on it as it expands looks fine. If poofs out tear off pieces don't cut looks better.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Construction adhesive used to glue cement blocks and stone retaining walls will do a great job, and once set the bond is stronger than the stone itself.
John

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
It works even if they are a little wet, I use the expanding foam, normal stuff, not the waterfall stuff, throw some sand, gravel, dirt on it as it expands looks fine. If poofs out tear off pieces don't cut looks better.

so addy you use just the regular "great stuff", not their waterfall foam? Do you use it in your stream also? have you had any problems with it? got another can of the waterfall stuff today and it was next to the regular great stuff and was looking for a chemicals list to see what was different about the two (aside for the black vs yellow color) but didn't see it listed on the cans, was wondering if it was one of those things where they are basically the same but one is dyed black for aesthetics and then sold for over twice as much.

Reaction score
Any polyurethane is pretty good at sticking to clean EPDM. Long term of course water will win, but that could take years. You also might have to brace the rock while the glue set.

Of course once you stick the rock to the liner you still have gravity pulling the rock down...now along with the liner. I'd fix the structural problem and make the base under the liner flat and then no glue is needed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so addy you use just the regular "great stuff", not their waterfall foam? Do you use it in your stream also? have you had any problems with it? got another can of the waterfall stuff today and it was next to the regular great stuff and was looking for a chemicals list to see what was different about the two (aside for the black vs yellow color) but didn't see it listed on the cans, was wondering if it was one of those things where they are basically the same but one is dyed black for aesthetics and then sold for over twice as much.

I bought some of the waterfall stuff, a few cans, the black fades turns a gray yellow white after awhile where the sun hits it. The normal stuff works just as good.
like wb says the rocks, if you are trying to stick them to a vertical side, might not stay and might drag down your liner. Mine were stacked from the bottom of the small stream pond and up the side. I used the foam to make them stay there. I have also used the polyurethane glue to stick rocks together.

I also used it in the stream to help direct water down the rocks not under them. The stuff does weep, ie not water tight, but over time dirt etc coats it to even help more in getting the water to go where you want it to. The yellow stuff turned brown, over time. I also throw dirt gravel on it as it firms up. If it poofs out, tear it off makes it look better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The spot where the rock is sliding isn't vertical. It just has a tiny bit of slope, just enough to cause the rock to slip. We don't have it yet because rock is so expensive, but we are planning that a little at a time we will get more rock to stack up the walls of the pond, so eventually it will have more support from that as well. Its just right on the edge of where the ground meets the main pond between the pond and bog (waterfall area). Leveling the ground there isn't really an option now that the waterfall is all done. Unless I wanted to redo the whole thing, which I don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheffieldblue

Latest Threads