Digger bees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New member! So, I had a pond and used a cheap material and it wasn't right so I have removed it, put the fish in a rigid pond. Ive bought a proper liner, underlay and overlay. Plus Ive dug it out some more.

Im a paramedic and suffer with depression and recently found out I have autism, arghhhhh! I only leave my house to go to work.

I just really wanted to have a pond, but its beating me and I feel like a failure. Ive probably spent nearly £1000 what with filters, plants, fish etc etc

So, I was literally about to line the pond and saw bees going into the sand id added. Ive tried water spray and today Ive tried smoking them out. It worked for a brief period but even then they weren't that bothered.

What the 'F' do I do! Im loathed to kill them, Ive not been stung, so I'm assuming they are digger bees. I'll see if I can add a video, but this shows them just above the pond, where I'll need to put the liner. There are bees right at the bottom of the pond too.

I literally feel Ive failed and nearly lost all motivation now, I feel like someone is trying to say I shouldn't have a pond. This is my last hope.

I dug it out late summer last year and want to try and enjoy a summer with all the plants and fish I have, plus its cruel keeping them in the small rigid pond until my pond is done. Ive tried to do everything right, but I think Im just rubbish at DIY. I watched all the YouTube tutorials etc.ntil they have gone because my fish need their pond back

The vid shows a silly incense stick! But I used smoking wood under the underlay (you might see some smoke from there). Would a proper smoker help, I think you could use a spray bottle with some essential oils. I thought Id got rid of them from the bottom and started moving the underlay, then I saw the new holes and in that time they started using the holes at the bottom again, arghhhhh

Any advice, as Im so close, I just don't wanna wait until autumn.

Cant upload video Im afraid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
New member! So, I had a pond and used a cheap material and it wasn't right so I have removed it, put the fish in a rigid pond. Ive bought a proper liner, underlay and overlay. Plus Ive dug it out some more.

Im a paramedic and suffer with depression and recently found out I have autism, arghhhhh! I only leave my house to go to work.

I just really wanted to have a pond, but its beating me and I feel like a failure. Ive probably spent nearly £1000 what with filters, plants, fish etc etc

So, I was literally about to line the pond and saw bees going into the sand id added. Ive tried water spray and today Ive tried smoking them out. It worked for a brief period but even then they weren't that bothered.

What the 'F' do I do! Im loathed to kill them, Ive not been stung, so I'm assuming they are digger bees. I'll see if I can add a video, but this shows them just above the pond, where I'll need to put the liner. There are bees right at the bottom of the pond too.

I literally feel Ive failed and nearly lost all motivation now, I feel like someone is trying to say I shouldn't have a pond. This is my last hope.

I dug it out late summer last year and want to try and enjoy a summer with all the plants and fish I have, plus its cruel keeping them in the small rigid pond until my pond is done. Ive tried to do everything right, but I think Im just rubbish at DIY. I watched all the YouTube tutorials etc.ntil they have gone because my fish need their pond back

The vid shows a silly incense stick! But I used smoking wood under the underlay (you might see some smoke from there). Would a proper smoker help, I think you could use a spray bottle with some essential oils. I thought Id got rid of them from the bottom and started moving the underlay, then I saw the new holes and in that time they started using the holes at the bottom again, arghhhhh

Any advice, as Im so close, I just don't wanna wait until autumn.

Cant upload video Im afraid
I am a bit confused, so you dug it out and all, added sand, and now you have yourself a whole bunch of nesting bees?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Smoke the nest , Then spray the heck out of the area the smell alone will get them to move on . Leave the area give them some time to more on. keep spraying the area until they move on or you give up the idea no to directly spray the hive

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
@norwichpond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit confused, so you dug it out and all, added sand, and now you have yourself a whole bunch of nesting bees?
Hi, sorry. I had dug it out and now have emptied it to extend it and change the liner. Thats when the digger bees came about.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Smoke the nest , Then spray the heck out of the area the smell alone will get them to move on . Leave the area give them some time to more on. keep spraying the area until they move on or you give up the idea no to directly spray the hive
Hi, thank you thats helpful. I'll try tomorrow after my night shift. You say spray the area and keep spraying, what just water from a hose do you mean? Can I just ask what this bit means 'r you give up the idea no to directly spray the hive'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No spray with bees spray or wasp. If the opening is poison they will eventually abandon . Soak a rag in it and cover over most of the access they should move on or make a new access . Me I'd just bomb them mid day half the hive will be out and about . Kill the hive the others will buzz the area for a day or two then move on

Ask a Question