String algae white, aphids, organic matter breaking down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Noticed a few days ago the string algae has turned white, now I have no idea why that is, I've been also having a ton of aphids falling into the bog and the pond. And I'm guessing the fish are spawning as well. Is this normal? Nothing seems out of ordinary in terms of fish/plant health, just wondering why would it go white. It's a bit odd, maybe gravel leeching out color or something? no idea

This white algae is only for one rock, algae everywhere else seems normal. And it's been like so for a few days, but other plants/fish seem okay, I hear this may be a herbicide, I use no such thing, and I am not sure how would it go such a long way from my neighbours. I've got a cherry tree over the pond, thinking it may have to do with honeydew and aphids falling down and dying.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
String algae that goes white is dead. Usually see this in the spring. The algae within the ice zone particularly. Also as your pond comes to life the lack of nutrients can cause this as well but not as common. but if you dropped your water on a hot day and the algae is exposed that's a possibility as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
well, the pond right now aint so great, bog full of dead aphids falling from the tree, god awful smell and unclear water. im guessing this foul smell is caused by spawning cause i dont see anything wrong here, dont even feed the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
well, the pond right now aint so great, bog full of dead aphids falling from the tree, god awful smell and unclear water. im guessing this foul smell is caused by spawning cause i dont see anything wrong here, dont even feed the fish.
Spawning smells bad? oh no...hopefully that doesn't last long. I have a sensitive nose and don't want my pond to be stinky once it's up and running with fish in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Spawning smells bad? oh no...hopefully that doesn't last long. I have a sensitive nose and don't want my pond to be stinky once it's up and running with fish in it.
i think its that, it certainly coincides with spring. havent had this issue before. and im guessing tons of aphids dead at any given time contributes to the awful smell. well, that and i havent been scooping any leaves/cherries falling into the pond, so it makes sense. but hopefully its just spawning. ive got so many dead aphids in the bog, that its truly a bog, it smells god awful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A pond and or a bog should smell like earth. Maybe a hint of must in the air but certainly not stink. If it does the owner is not doing something right. Now once the pond is established it is possible to pull some plants and get a bit of a stank. But once your done disturbing it the smell should go away.
But these are ponds that we are building they are NOT tropical turquoise waters of the Bahamas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
A pond and or a bog should smell like earth. Maybe a hint of must in the air but certainly not stink. If it does the owner is not doing something right. Now once the pond is established it is possible to pull some plants and get a bit of a stank. But once your done disturbing it the smell should go away.
But these are ponds that we are building they are NOT tropical turquoise waters of the Bahamas.
well of course. i am pretty sure its spawning that smells this bad. Then again, it could be it's plugged down there, I have had issues after heavy rain where the bog flow rate is extremely weak and after restarting the pump it unclogs it.

and then all the aphids dying i dont doubt all that helps. but i guess if it stays like this for much longer then the bog is clogged somewhere.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I’m Dawn and I have lost my mind but this is being converted into a pond. I am in the SF Bay Area and while I have had a few “puddle ponds” in the past, this is different, I don’t know what I don’t know. Scared and moving forward!! Have a great day!!

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome
By the sounds of it this is not a diy project mare you planning on hiring someone?
as far as loosing your mind you got a lot of catching up to do.
one mention i will make is to make sure the pond in reverse of what the putting green is you want the pond sides higher then the walk for the most part to keep rain runoff from picking up garden chemicals and running into the pond.,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
well. algae death continues still, water is as murky as ever. bog smells and looks stagnant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been getting what i assume is algae in my small pond. Its making the water nasty. Im not going to get fish so i bought a gallon of pool cleaner and dumped it in, mostly clear again now with those white strings everywhere. Thought maybe it was tadpoles. I know nothing what im doing and when i ask specific questions to people i get half a answer from 4 questions. Anyways since i nuked everything id assume maybe a cleaner u used or something zapped it like mine maybe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Cleaned the surface of the bog today, I'm guessing it wasn't fish spawning causing the smell. Some sort of big crap though, or sediment, even though bog is not stagnant, is it possible I wonder that bacteria are killed off by this god awful substance and so filtration simply didn't work well?

However why this would cause algae to die I have no idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Ive been getting what i assume is algae in my small pond. Its making the water nasty. Im not going to get fish so i bought a gallon of pool cleaner and dumped it in, mostly clear again now with those white strings everywhere. Thought maybe it was tadpoles. I know nothing what im doing and when i ask specific questions to people i get half a answer from 4 questions. Anyways since i nuked everything id assume maybe a cleaner u used or something zapped it like mine maybe
i doubt algae is your issue. if it's dying like it is for me then thats the issue . ive had algae die off like nothing ive read or seen here. and yet other plants seem ok and fish are not even remotely touched by it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any pool product is going to KILL everything in the pond. This is as far from what this site encourages. but if that is the look you want i'd get those chlorine tablets and just drop one of those in the whala clear water void of algae and life

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
i still have no idea what can cause a major algae die off, something's bad. 2 days ago i washed off the surface, orangeish/brown muck, today the same... Is this fish spawning? It smells very bad.

it is almost as if the bog is stagnant, and yet it is not at the same time...

Ask a Question