Airlift Vs Centrifugal water pumps, energy efficiency?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi, Im trying to find out if airlift is more efficient or Centrifugal waterpumps for low height pumping. I found mixed results , any one has tryed airlift in a pond?

in some youtube videos some large pond setups has used low watt air pump to pump heavy loads of water . unfortunately i cant find out measurements how much its pumping .

Normaly a medium level air pump will take 20 to 35 watts and pumps 40 lit air per min, people claim it pumps equal or more amount of water with it .

one smaller 35 watts centrifugal pump i have it pumps 33 lit per min water .

(airlift system is used normaly in aquariums where air bubbles enter in a tube and creates vacume while comming up and drives water with it)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean an air pump only pumps air that I know of .My laguna one I bought pumps only air and my laguna pond pumps water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
You might want to take a look at this video to get an idea how much water can be moved with a little air:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Not sure what you mean an air pump only pumps air that I know of .My laguna one I bought pumps only air and my laguna pond pumps water
i will post few examples , in old days it was more common in aquariums , from the figures on youtube it seems to b using half the energy

home made air lift - YouTube

2000 Gallon Fish Pond (8000 liters) running on 40 Watts - YouTube

airlift koi pond Pump Hiblow - air lift - YouTube

AirLift Pump 15000 lit/h 37watts- YouTube

Airlift Koi 34W 20000 Liter Teich November 2013 - YouTube

Airlift 75mm on KOI pond - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNr3XBKFFM

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You might want to take a look at this video to get an idea how much water can be moved with a little air:
thanx its great video and Design
thats huge difference he said 10 to 20 watts airpump will pump 10000lit/h means 2641gph
if we use water pump it takes 100 watts to pump 2500gph

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting but there has so much talk on here about to much water movement .Because I use the water coming out of ball valves in my pond .I think when you over aerate your pond you have less problems with water quality and fish health .

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
As cool as this is, it seems to have 2 limitations:
1-no head height. This isn't going to pump water to a waterfall or fountain.
2-those ain't pumps seem quite noisy. I don't want to hear any motor operating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Airlifts work very well as long as you don't need much head and have a fair amount of depth. the deeper the better. Airlifts are very popular in Europe for their energy efficiency, but everything in the pond and filter system is designed to compliment the airlift's strengths. I'd recommend a lot of research and critical thinking, What I've seen had an evangellic tone to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mochosla

Latest Threads